Wheels?

I have a question which I hope someone can give me a little advice on. I have a 78' Chevy 4x4 van which hovers around 7,000 Lbs. going down the road. I just got it painted and am looking for a new look. Right now I run a polished aluminum rim 16.5"x9.75" from Eagle Alloy that is cast and rated for 3,400 Lbs. a wheel. The new wheel I am looking at is either a Weld Racing Forged polished aluminum Typhoon with a rating of 3,200 Lbs. I can also get the same looking rim from Eagle Alloy which is rated 3,400 Lbs.

My big question here is the Eagle Alloy requires a lot of up keep. I have heard the Weld wheels although twice the price, have a better finish and they hold their luster with minor up keep? I was hoping everyone would not mind sharing their opinions and thoughts. I have always heard forged is better, but they have roughly the same load rating. I also heard one of the reasons Eagle Alloy has such a high up keep is because cast wheels are more porous? Thank you a head of time for all your help.

Regards, Chuck

78' Chevy 1 Ton 4X4 Van
Reply to
Chuck Schembri

check out

hth

Reply to
Ron

If I was in your shoes, I'd check with a local shop who does wheel repair/restoration and have them give you a quote on clearcoating your wheels. A reputable shop will give a near indefinate warranty on their coating and you won't be polishing them anymore.

Your Eagle wheels are not porous and will be fine for this process. My old aluminum slot wheels were porous and I was told by our wheel restoration shop that they would look terrible if coated. They told me, instead, that if I wanted to buy new wheels to bring them there and if I wanted, then they would coat my new wheels (since there would be very little prep work involved) for $50 each.

I'm talking about doing this to your current wheels instead of buying new ones, so it would be a little more money, normally. However, if you would like to part with your old ones, then give me a shout because I may be able to take them off your hands if the price is right.

Reply to
Snowman