Miata Wheels

I have original alloy '91 Miata Wheels:

I got the alloy wheels that came with the package on the Miata. Live in the Northeast US and they get badly pitted. I can have them reconditioned and repainted for around $150 a wheel or get replacements.

I don't like extreme or chrome ones and want to stick to painted silver, not shiny wheels, like the original alloys.

I kind of like the looks of the MSW 15 at Tire Rack but only using online photos.

Anyone have these or can comment?

Can you compare the relative look on the car, feel of the road, vs original alloy wheels ???

Reply to
GParent

I'd consider getting 15" wheels, it offers you a wider choice of tires.

As for looks, that's up to you, everyone's taste is different. Just get what you like but pay VERY close attention to weight! Your original wheels weigh 12.3lbs, don't get anything heavier or you'll feel it!

Reply to
XS11E

Weight makes a huge difference, and 15.5 lbs is a lot for a 14" wheel. I replaced my 17's with 16x7 Rota Slipstreams wheels at the suggestion of Lanny Chambers, a frequent and knowledgeable poster here. Rota wheels (they make a number of models which will fit your Miata) are very light for the money and I have not had a problem with mine. The 15" Slipstream is listed at 11.8 lbs, which is really quite good.

Carbon

Furthermore, try to find wheels with the same ET-value as the original wheels. If the ET-value of the new wheel is too low, the rubber parts of your suspension will take extra strain resulting in faster wear and tear. The standard ET-value of MX-5 wheels is 45 and an ET-value less than 35 is not avised for MX-5's.

Good luck with your search!

Jeroen Feelders Technical Commissioner Mazda MX-5 Club of the Netherlands

/

Jeroen Feelders

I'm thinking Jeroen is referring to what we call 'offset' on this side of the pond as they say.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

panasports are nice...

peter

Reply to
peter

Rather heavy, though, and expensive. Compare the Rota RB.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

i seem to remember the ones i had on a hopped up 74 capri being pretty light...i guess that was compared to steel rims and was a long time ago :)

peter

Reply to
peter

Chect Miata.net, they give weights for a bunch of wheels.

Reply to
XS11E

Has anyone ever figured out how the difference in tire weight figures into all this. I mean a 17" rim/low profile tire setup might not be that much heavier than a 15" when you consider that the 15" tire has a deeper and heavier sidewall. Some may say that the rubber is a lot lighter than a similar amount of aluminum or magnesium alloy, but I'm not so sure. I had a 911 Porsche some years ago that had forged alloys, and I can tell you those were REALLY light wheels - much lighter than the tires that went on them. That car also had aluminum lug nuts which were also featherweight. Food for thought. . . . .

--Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

But the 17 will have a wider tread, with a commensurate increase in the amount of rubber, steel belts, etc. You can check tire manufacturers' websites for the weights of different sizes.

In addition, the 17 will have more of its mass near the periphery, which increases its negative effect on performance.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I wonder if we're getting too picky here?

Just how much additional unsprung weight will larger tires/wheels add (as a % of original) and just how much effect will it have?

Consider that many people don't even know if their car has a flat tire, I wonder if anyone would notice a slight increase in unsprung weight?

Reply to
XS11E

I have 195/50-15 T1Rs (17 lb) on 15x6.5 Rota Slipstream wheels (12 lb), total weight 29 lb. A 205/40-17 T1R weighs 19 lb and a 17x7.5 Slipstream weighs 19 lb, total weight 38 lb. That's a 31% increase, most of it in or near the tread. In addition, the 205/40-17 is almost one inch larger in overall diameter, but that's the smallest 17" T1R available.

Both the extra rotating mass and excess diameter will hurt acceleration. How much? I don't know, but I can only assume that performance was not part of any decision to use 17" wheels on a car designed for 14".

The extra mass will also be felt as a harsher ride, and be more challenging for the shocks to control. That could actually result in lower grip on less-than-perfect pavement.

On an NA, most 17" wheels will probably require some fender rolling for clearance.

Anyone? I certainly would. So would a slew of folks on miata.net who've sold their big wheels and returned to sensible sizes, then posted reports of getting their performance and ride quality back.

If your Miata is just a transportation appliance, then no, you probably won't notice.

I don't consider a 30% increase "slight."

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It does requires a tweak or two but nothing major, here's what's needed for the larger tires:

Easy to do but it does take a couple of bucks...

Reply to
XS11E

Sure, it's easy: just drop the car off with a blank check, and pick it up in a couple of months. Piece of cake. It still won't ride or handle as well, though.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

But it goes gooder, what more can you want? Or you could continue modifications if your check can tolerate it:

XS11E

That was my experience. My car came with 17" wheels, two of which I knocked out of round on a manhole cover sticking up a couple of inches on a road resurfaced. The 16" wheels I replaced the stockers with were (IIRC) 4 lbs lighter. I didn't actually weight the tires, but they seemed lighter as well. They certainly were not heavier. The effect on the car's handling was immediately obvious. Much more responsive, more agile, better ride, etc. The difference was night and day.

Reply to
Carbon