Will a lift kit void my warranty?

I was wondering if my warranty (not the oringinal 36k/3yrs, but extended through GMAC) would void if I was to put a 6" suspension lift on my silverado?

Reply to
jmex

Yes

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
Shep

Most warrantees don't even cover towing wear/damage.

Reply to
Shades

Not sure where you get that. If it has factory tow package, there are no issues. I never had any question about claims on a GM truck that had a snowplow on it even during the 6 yrs of extended GMPP coverage The truck was a gas truck and a factory aproved plow and even though it did not have a officail plow prep package, it was a K3500 SRW with a optional HD front suspension so there was no need for prep and it carried a heavy plow with ease. Where you get in to problems with warranties is towing without tow packages or plowing with trucks not rated to plow. A lift can destroy driveline warranty but will not effect items like A/C, Alt and such.

Reply to
SnoMan

With certain packages and options, there usually isn't a problem. If the dealership has any hint that the rating in the door has been exceeded at all, ever, they can void the warrantee on one of more components...engine, trans, rear-end, u-joints, etc.

Its been a while since I have been in 'the loop', but I would definatly clarify warrantee coverage before almost any change to the vehicle, or any usage other than driving(i.e. towing, plowing, hauling...).

Allot of dealerships you might not have a problem, but for the majority that might is when things can get expensive.

Reply to
Shades

On the supject of plows, one sure fire way to get it warranted is to get the dealer to sell you the plow with the truck (it does not need to be mounted/installed if you want to do it yourself) this way it is a a dealer/factory approved option. Lots of people with GM Dmax trucks and plows are voiding their warranties if dealer want to push it because unless it is a very small lite weight unit, it is overlaoding the front axle rating because of added weight of Dmax and Plow together. Major brands like Fisher and Western will not sell a plow of any size to mount on those trucks. The ones you see of that brand on those vehicles have been "hacked" on without OEM blessing.

Reply to
SnoMan

Excellent points!

Reply to
Shades

Ah, Dealers. One can never know exactly what to expect. There's a story floating around about a man who bought a brand new Chevy truck with a dealer-installed lift kit. He went to bring it in for some waranty work and they refused because it had been modified. The lift kit was the only modification.

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

There are a few ways to look at this. When you add a lift you do add more strain to chassis due to increased leverage which is not good for warrantor. Lifts and tires also add more strain to driveline, particularly the tranny which is not good either if you are the warrantor because of increase possiblity of failure. Next there is the issue of stability, a lifted vehicle is less stable and will tend top roll easier so if they "accept" it as a valid mod they could be stetting themself up for a lawsuit by a crafty lawyer from a wreck the invovled a rollover. The only real winner here are the guys selling the kits and rake in the money from selling their products with the CYA exclusuion of "for off road use only" to limit liabilty.

SnoMan