lift kit and warranty

Friends, Dealer told me that if I put a lift kit on my 05 tj, then the drivetrain warranty will be voided. Is this the truth?

thanks david d

Reply to
David Drum

You can modify a vehicle and the manufacturer cannot void the warranty on components not affected by the modifications. For instance, you can install a lift and if your radio dies they can't deny a warranty claim on the radio.

When you install a lift, larger tires, etc they may have a case in denying drivetrain warranty claims, since the new components add stress and strain to the drivetrain. The burden is on them to prove that the warranty claim was a result of the modification. And of course they won't cover aftermarket parts that are part of the lift, ie springs, shocks, control arms, ring&pinions, etc.

That said, many many TJ's run 33" tires and lifts with stock drivetrain and have had no problems. Many dealers will deny warranty coverage on factory parts affected by the lift, but many other dealers will honor warranty claims even with lifted vehicles, it really depends on the dealer.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Google the Magnusson Moss Warranty Protection Act for more information.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Be aware that after the dealer denies they claim you will have to hire a lawyer and sue for damages.

Reply to
billy ray

Exactly .. you may be right but the cost in time and hassle may not be worth it. While you might recover legal fees you could also lose and get nothing. When you start legal proceedings there are no guarantees.

Reply to
AJ

Agreed, once you go through the appeal process with the manufacturer, which is outlined in your warranty booklet. Technically the dealer doesn't actually deny the warranty claim, the manufacturer does.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

My dealership has been chomping at the bit to put one on my 06 tj TJr me since the day I bought it. They regularly install them on new Jeeps for sale....

Kate

06 Rubicon

Reply to
Kate

I wonder if DC even has a policy on lift kits?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

DC Sells them in their accessories catalog.... Kate

Reply to
Kate

So if a dealer tells you they void the warranty, just roll up the accessories catalog, and smack him once or twice with it. That should knock some sense into him.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Only if you bought the lift kit from them and there is no warranty warning attached.

Reply to
billy ray

Most of them need a smack anyway.

Chris

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Chances are it's something like: Genuine Mopar parts, installed by genuine mopar technicians. Otherwise....

Hell... there comes a time when you just have to stick your tongue out at them and say "thuff it in your aath"

Reply to
Kate

Quite a few dealerships here offer new Wranglers withlift kits already installed and they say nothing about the effect on the warrantee. How can they install one and not damage the warrantee and you cannot?

I think it is definitely a double standard.

Nat Man

Reply to
Nat Man

Reply to
philthy

Kate, I have never seen a DC accessory catalog. Do you happen to have a part number that I can show my dealer? Or do you have the web address for ordering through this catalog? I would like to take the part number to my dealer. My dealer did say that another dealer down the road installs lift kits and when I called them they said it does not void the factory drive train warranty.

Reply to
David Drum