1993 Legend, desperately need help! TIA

Hi,

I Have a 1993 legend, was running perfect until today! My brother decided that he wanted to clean the engine for me, it did not go well! We went to a car wash and he first applied some engine degreaser for like five minutes and then power washed the engine compartment.

Once he was done with the wash I started the car and to my demise, it did not look good. The car was idling very low and the idling was cycling like crazy from like 200 to 800 RPM. I though, O.K. some water got somewhere and it'll dry out soon. I was wrong!! When I tried to shift the gear into drive it would not shift and yes, I was pressing on the breaks. I freaked out and I was going to kill him. But, I wanted to get home so I finally used the ignition key to unlock the shifter and I made it home (I left him at the car wash) . It was less than half a mile drive home. My trouble did not end there; when I got home white smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe. This is my story!

I know it was idiotic and believe me I did not want to do it but he convinced me that it was a good idea and I reluctantly agreed! I know, I know, you can curse me; you can swear at me all you want but PLEASE help me out. I love this car and I am a student on a tight budget and there is no way I can afford to take it to the dealer.

Thank you soooooo much and hope you can help me out.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa

"Lisa" wrote in news:kvudnQoqJdND85rbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@buckeye-express.com:

First,I'd say that your spark plug wires and maybe your ignition coil need replacing;the wires may be the originals and overdue for replacement,the coil may have been damaged from the arcing of the plug wires,or itself failed due to moisture.Try the wires first. Then; The white smoke could be water/degreaser that got forced into the intake system and not anything harmful.A half-mile drive is not enough to warm up the car,either. If it still does it after you replace the plug wires and and go for a long drive,then you have other problems,perhaps serious ones.

You need to hit up your brother for the repair costs.

(BTW,we don't post binaries in this newsgroup.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Lisa" wrote in news:kvudnQoqJdND85rbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@buckeye-express.com:

You are supposed to mask off all the electrical stuff with plastic first, and to aim the spray AWAY from the electrical stuff.

Your "demise"? Are you dead now? So sorry.

Oh, you wanted HIM to meet his demise, then. Sounds like a logical next-step in this case...

You may have shorted out the shift control solenoids, which are on the upper front part of the transmission housing.

Is the "D4" or "S" light blinking? Is the Check Engine light on?

Have you managed to drive it for at least a half-hour? You may not have cooked all the water out of its hiding places.

Reply to
Tegger

Lisa,

I had a similar problem with my 1993 legend and it wound up being JUST the sprak coil.

I actually replaced all six of mine, even though only ONE was bad.

So I have 5 good coils in my shed. If you wanted one of the coils or ALL 5 we could work something out?

Darren

Reply to
dtewing