2000 TL bubble in rearview mirror

The self darkening mirror in my '00 TL suddenly developed a large bubble right in the center of the viewing area the other day. It looks just like the bubbles that grow in bad window tint film. Over a period of two days, it has slowly migrated to the top of the mirror, but has not disappeared.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any fix other than replacement?

Reply to
E Meyer

todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum

Reply to
Todd Ullum

Reply to
sluggo

The mirror is ruptured internally. The only repair is replacement. Apparently this is a common failure. I found a thread in one of the Acura groups that said the (mirror) manufacturer was replacing the mirrors for free around the end of last year, but they apparently stopped doing it almost immediately.

A new mirror is around $80 from the online dealers. It snaps onto a lug that is glued to the windshield glass. It is touchy to get it off and install the new one without cracking the windshield. I was successful, but I found numerous postings from others who were not. If you don't trust yourself, pay a dealer to change it so they have to make good the windshield if they screw it up.

Reply to
E Meyer