93 Legend starting problem

Never seen this before.

I try to start the car, it turns over fine, seems to catch, the engine does the normal rev to 1000-1500 or so, then it drops off and dies. Did this to me about 15 times. Put it in neutral, started, slighty pressed gas with foot on brake and put into drive after turning over and it ran fine. Came home, let it sit running for a bit (sounds a little off, but I can't say for sure if it is or if I just think it is). Turned it off and waited a couple of minutes and tried again and it started fine. Will let it sit a bit longer and see if it starts.

Starter? Alternator? Any ideas???

Reply to
oskiller

oskiller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Main relay? Acuras and Hondas have a common problem with the main relay that energizes the fuel pump that keeps the fuel rail pressurized. (car starts then runs out of fuel) The relay has cracks on solder joints inside;BUT it can be opened up and the joints resoldered,OR you can buy a new relay for $50 or more. Usually,the relay is located in the footwell under the dash on the drivers side.

It gets worse on hot days.

Jim Yanik

As Jim says, sounds like the main relay. See also

Michael Pardee

oskiller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

CLASSIC Main Relay problem!!! The #1 way they fail.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns9793595F4A700tegger@207.14.113.17:

Should include a refernce:

TeGGeR®

They diagnosed it as the ignition switch. Have one on order and we'll see what happens after they replace it.

If I still have a problem, I'll go for the main relay next.

Thanks for the advice gang.

Reply to
oskiller

oskiller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

NOTE;it's cheaper (and easier)to resolder the main relay than to replace an ignition switch.

You could have it done in an hour's time.

Then you can eliminate it as a trouble source,maybe even find you really don't need an ignition switch.

I note that repair places like to replace parts(at YOUR expense,until they find the problem) rather than fix them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Of course, part of the problem is that the ignition switch is also a known weak spot in some years. However, the symptoms fit the main relay much better than they do the ignition switch.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote

I'll bet most likely it's the ignition switch. The OP left out one crucial info. If the dash lights went out when it died it's the ignition switch.

Reply to
Burt

"Burt" wrote in news:P98Wf.51937$F snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

Of course,all one has to do is resolder the relay and ELIMINATE it as a source of trouble. No need to BUY any parts.

If that fixes it,the switch parts order can be cancelled.

THEN,if the ignition switch is bad,the problem will still exist,and a switch can be BOUGHT and installed.

Wouldn't it be smarter to tackle the easier and cheaper tasks first? That's the point I was trying to make.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns97947EEC91825jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.85:

.

Unless the OP can't solder and doesn't want to tear into his dash himself, in which case it becomes a gamble on labor costs, since he'd pay either way.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote

Makes sense. Since it has a higher degree of failure. But what if the OP has money to spend. He actually has a flagship Legend... the frugal would depend on the Civic or a Corolla, "the" most reliable, safest frugal car.

Makes sense. However, there are tons of info on "how to diagnose the main relay" without gambling or getting dirty.

Reply to
Burt

Everything is fine now that the switch has been replaced - starts like a champ again.

And yes, I did forget to post that part - all the lights did go out right as it died.

Runn>"Michael Pardee" wrote

Reply to
oskiller

Thanks for the feedback. Yes indeed - the lights going out (like you had switched the ignition off) is a strong indicator of switch trouble and definitely isn't a symptom of main relay (fuel pump relay) failure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee