Ion sway bar bushings

I have a 2005 Ion-2 and the sway bar bushings have gone bad. Are replacements split so they can go on without taking the sway bar links off? The links are rusted and look like they will have to be cut off.

In other words, is this going to be a complete replacement of both the bushing and links, or is there any way to just replace the bushing?

Thanks!

Reply to
somebody

Can't say for sure but I've seen it both ways on other cars. Worst come to worst, you can make a cut in the side of the bushing to slip over the bar. This works best when the clamp has sides that fold down a bit over the bushing to keep it from working its way out. I swear by Kroil from

which turns most rust to mush. Put on a few drops, let it sit for a few minutes and then go to town with impact wrench (preferred). Start at low torque and work up to higher torque. If you don't have an impact wrench, use a breaker bar on a socket and work the joint back and forth in small moves till it loosens. Add more Kroil as you work it.

Reply to
Oppie

Perhaps it would be best to stick with rubber bushings instead of the solid plastic performance version just because it's easier to cut.

Thanks!

Reply to
somebody