Acura hood latch stuck

I can't release the hood latch on my 1992 Acura Integra. I have tried to access the latch through the grille but it cannot be reached. Nor can the grille be dismantled unless the hood is open. The release cable does not appear to be broken but is rather slack. I would appreciate any suggestions other than taking the car to a dealership.

Reply to
William Werezak

It sounds like the cable housing has come disengaged. If you can get to the cable under the dash where it leaves the lever and judiciously yank the whole thing, I think the latch will release. Maybe then you can see what is going on.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"William Werezak" wrote in news:J1xcf.44476$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net:

If Mike's suggestion does not help: Removing the front bumper (4 bolts, 4 screws) will expose the mechanism.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns9709DB1F43E7Ftegger@207.14.113.17:

I hear that the Midnite Auto thieves enter thru the leftside wheel well to access the release cable.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns970A6E8DF865Ejyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84:

That would be very hard to do, frankly.

For the Midnite guys, it would be quite a lot easier to use a crowbar to just lever up the front of the hood, and pop the latch from there. (Did I just give somebody some ideas...?)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

TeGGer:

Thank you so much for your information. I removed the front bumper and opened the latch. Unfortunately in dropping the bumper it brushed an air conditioning line and the freon gas escaped. You live and learn I quess. Thanks to others also for their suggestions.

- Bill

Reply to
William Werezak

"William Werezak" wrote in news:wuScf.44538$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net:

Sorry to hear that.

Removing the bumper is bit of a test. It's heavy, and must be precisely released to avoid damage.

If you remove the signal lights, you'll see that the passenger side of the bumper has an additional sort of tab that the driver side does not. This side you remove the bolts from FIRST. The tab holds the bumper up on that side while you remove the bolts from the driver side. Once the driver side is released, you swing the bumper forward, away from the car, then lift the tab off the bumper pad on the rad support on the passenger side. Now push a bit to the passenger side and the bumper comes loose.

What helps is to sit on the driveway, crosslegged, legs under the bumper. This way you can help support the beam as you remove it.

Reply to
TeGGeR®