Air filter time

I have a 2002 TL S-Type. Time for a new air filter, so does it matter if I get it at the dealer or not? It's only a $12 difference so I guess over time it doesn't matter, but what is everyone's experience here? I'm not really looking for any upgrade or performance thing unless you can prove to me changing an air filter makes your car fly. Thanks.

Reply to
Yer Daddy

"Yer Daddy" wrote in news:46247b75$0$27050$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Not all that $12 difference is dealer profit.

Aftermarket filters are generally made of inferior materials and have less surface area.

How much would it cost to replace your engine? Use dealer filters.

Reply to
Tegger

I use WIX filters and I dont think it's inferior to deal ones

Reply to
firewolf

K & N .

Reply to
Ron Marraccini

I'm in the camp that dislikes K&N for the greatly increased level of grit that gets through. The link I had for the tests has broken, but the difference was pretty radical. Maybe in less dusty environments it is okay, but I'd still avoid it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The last "Wix" filter for a Honda product I saw actually said Made in Korea on the inside and looked like a re-boxed generic import air filter.

Reply to
John Horner

You can save a few bucks by shopping with this dealer online, but it only makes sense if you order enough things to offset the shipping and handling fees:

I have compared the Honda/Acura filters visually to Wix and Fram aftermarket units and the original material seems to be thicker and of somewhat better quality. For the few $$$ difference I now buy the original equipment filters. It isn't like this is something you buy frequently.

Reply to
John Horner