engine overheating please help

i need help with a 94 integra ls manual transmission. the engine overheats specially at high speeds. i already changed the water pump and put in a new thermostat. my fans were not working so ran them straight to my ignition, and as long as my car is on the fans will be on. but the car overheats. usually theres steam coming out of the reservoir and recently the engine got so hot tha the car turned off before i could pull of to the side. any ideas or suggestions?

Reply to
jay

"jay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Does turning the heater on full cool the car down?

Check the rad for flow (is it EVENLY hot ALL over when the motor is fully warm?)

Also check the rad fins for corrosion. They can corrode to dust in the bottom middle portion.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Never let your car overheat or you will warp the aluminum head. I'm afraid your engine now likely has severe damage. Did this problem happen all at once or has it gradually been getting worse?

Reply to
duckbill

no the engine has gradually gotten to this stage. At first it would only happen sometimes but now its only about 15-20 min before it overheats

Reply to
jay

no the engine has gradually gotten to this stage. At first it would only happen sometimes but now its only about 15-20 min before it overheats

Reply to
jay

no i have not tried that but i will, thanks

Reply to
jay

If the temperature rise is steady and relentless, I would strongly suspect the radiator. Airflow would be a possibility except now you have the fans going full time, and you report it worse at high speeds. I would hazard a guess the radiator has had tap water added at least a few times (don't do that) - if so, the minerals have collected in the radiator and have made it nearly useless.

The radiator could be rodded out, but I recommend replacement. The radiator is near the end of the life expectancy anyway because of the plastic tanks. And in the future use only proper coolant and distilled (deionized) water.

Duckbill's concern about the head being warped should be checked by the simple field screening test: with the engine cold, remove the radiator cap. Start the engine, pinch off the hose to the coolant reservoir and place the palm of your hand over the opening for the radiator cap. If you feel pressure steadily rising against your palm within a couple of seconds or - worse - pulsations, the head will have to come off for repair of the head gasket or to be milled. A shop can do a chemical test to confirm the problem. But I don't think that's likely. Head warpage comes from the head not having coolant; the temperature soars. Assuming it has always had coolant present even if the coolant is at the boiling point, you should be okay.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Sounds to me like you need to check for the presence of carbon dioxide in your cooling system. Either a blown headgasket or broken head bolt or both.

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

i totally agree with Acura God get it checked out that way you will no where you stand if i had to guess i would say you have a leaking head gasket" =(

Reply to
johnin