Dragging a slap of concrete noise: '91 Integra

My daughter drives this car and has asked me to check out the noise. I did. Last night. I didn't get 20' (driveway) when I stopped and looked under the car for something dragging. Nothing. When you move you hear it. Not related to braking (what does a sticking caliper sound like?). I told her to take it to Honda ASAP. Maybe tomorrow. I dread her driving it like that. Any clues?

Reply to
finding z0

finding z0 wrote in news:cbf5f0a2-ffc3-480d-a185- snipped-for-privacy@l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

1) Brakes down to the steel. 2) Who knows?

Time for hands-on diagnosis.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9ACFB744D9E46tegger@208.90.168.18:

jack up each wheel and turn them,see if the brakes are dragging,check the pads to see if one side is worn much farther than the other.(stuck caliper)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9ACFC17D8714Ejyanikkuanet@64.209.0.86:

Specifically caused by stuck pads and/or slide pins.

Reply to
Tegger

Hi, I'd suggest it's the brake rotor splash guard scraping against the brake rotor. Cheers

Reply to
gp

Let me refine the sound since I drove the car to an independent shop last night. Sounds like a 737 at 1000ft when you start out, then diminishes rapidly though I can still hear some light rubbing sound thereafter. Will find out soon.

Reply to
finding z0

Turns out it was stuck caliper(s).

Reply to
finding z0

finding z0 wrote in news:89432212-868b-493e-b9cb- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the update, but I have a question: "stuck" specifically...how?

There are many parts that can get "stuck".

Reply to
Tegger

My daughter may not have recognized the squeak/squeal of brake pads wearing thru. It was metal on metal.

Reply to
finding z0