Newbie to group... 3.2 TL Stupid Question?

I have a 2000 3.2 TL... Great car, IMHO.

But I'm hearing something that "sounds" wrong: Passengers (and myself) notice a hum in the engine that seems to get louder and higher pitched the faster I go. It's not high pitched, but more like a loud hum, and not quite what I would call a grind. It's definitely loud enough to cause concern.

I had the tranny (recall) done a few years ago (2-3 years?), but it seems to not necessarily coinside with the tranny. Maybe more of a belt, exhaust system or something. IOW, when the car is up or down shifting, I don't "haer" a glitch, I just hear smooth faster and slower hum/grind.

Ahhh, yes, the car has 150K if you were wondering, all driven by yours truly. I have not called the dealer regarding this problem and maybe I'm just trying to self diagnose, and that may be stupid, but... If I can have my repair guy check out a few things, maybe it could be something that doesn't need a dealer to fix/replace.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Reply to
PRS GEEK

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I am concerned it may be a symptom of an overtightened timing belt. I'll let the real gurus (bev, TeGGeR, jim beam, remco...) weigh in with their ideas, but if it is the timing belt you are in danger of *serious* engine damage - so listen to what they have to say about that.

In the meantime, is there a record of when the timing belt was replaced - year and mileage? If not, you need to have that done immediately, I'm certain. Check the owner's manual for the interval but I don't know of any that are supposed to go 150K miles.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:L-6dnQN snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Overtightened timing belt is my first bet, if it's been changed very, very recently.

And yes, if it is the timing belt, get this fixed the second you are able to get to a shop. If it breaks, the probability of expensive engine damage is high.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Timing belt can't be overtightened. It has an automatic tensioner. Of course there could be something else wrong like a pulley bearing etc.

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

"Acura God" wrote in news:JB%_e.377247$_o.376680@attbi_s71:

How does this "automatic tensioner" work?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Gentlemen... The timing belt has _never_ been replaced and I'm at 150K...

I believe the service manual requires a timing belt change at about 100K... I'm WAY pat due. So, even if it IS self tenisoning, it's the original belt. Should I be looking at the timing belt first?

You think I can get this done withOUT the help of a dealer @ $xxxxxxx.xx?

Jeff

Reply to
PRS GEEK

OMG! Yes - you are on thin ice. (When I bought my daughter's '93 Accord, it was 163K miles on the original belt.) Get the belt replaced as soon as humanly possible. While in there, many of us recommend replacement of the water pump as a precaution, since the belt job includes at least 90% of the labor to do the pump. The bearings in the belt tensioner(s) are getting dry by now also, I'm sure, so new one(s) are a good idea but not necessarily mandatory.

Calling around to every place friends recommend will get you the best price; prices can vary over as much as a 2:1 range. Spell out how much you want done, so there is no misunderstanding from one shop to another. As long as the lowest price is from a reputable shop there's no reason to pay more. I do recommend real Honda/Acura parts, though. You don't want anything to go wrong down the road.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

OK... Sheesh... $$$$$$$$

The next poster has priced out the timing belt job at $1500. I also, might consider trading, but I'm in sales and I'm gonna get killed on the value vs. payoff ratio if I do. I might consider a 2 yr. old Acura or something. The first year of the new body style, or something.

Jeff

Reply to
PRS GEEK

That seems mighty high, but I suppose it's possible. By all means, call around (and that sort of labor cost means definitely change the water pump and tensioner(s) while in there.) Good luck, for sure.

It sure does make trading in look attractive, though.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

John A. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Your car has no "chain".

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On 8 Oct 2005 01:20:00 GMT, TeGGeR® let slip this dark secret:

So how are the cams driven, then?

Reply to
Humma Kavula

Humma Kavula wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A cogged belt, of course. It's made of synthetic rubber and fabric.

Some very late Hondas and Toyotas do have chains, but not your '91.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 22:06:34 -0400, Humma Kavula let slip this dark secret:

Never mind. Belt driven:

Humma Kavula

On 8 Oct 2005 02:18:34 GMT, TeGGeR® let slip this dark secret:

The title says 3.2 TL, so I got confused. But hey, it's Friday.

Reply to
Humma Kavula

The 3.2TL also uses a belt.

Reply to
E Meyer

It is an oil filled dampening device that keeps constant pressure on the belt to remove slack. Very hard to push in but will spring out. Hole in rear to allow you to screw the piston back in.

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

Well, I still haven't done a dang thing with this car... How stoO0pid am I being?

Any thoughts on the new body style TL's? My 200 has been a GREAT car. Nary a problem with 150K.

The new ones are way better looking IMO... Maybe it's time for a new TL?

Jeff

Reply to
PRS GEEK

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:22:49 GMT, PRS GEEK let slip this dark secret:

I prefer the look of the 1st gen.

Reply to
Humma Kavula

Could it be your wife, telling you to slow down ?? [j k]

Reply to
<p_buck*nospam

Divorced in March...

But yeah, that was pretty funny!