S2000 a $34K car ????

I'm wondering:

what makes the S2000 a $34K car ???? It's a 4-banger with only 237 HP and for that price you don't even get Navigation. What gives ?

Reply to
userjohn

Review S2000 sales figures. Notice that very few disagree with you. Although the S2000 is a lot more fun to drive than 237HP seems to indicate, Honda hasn't done much with the car since it's introduction and sales are in the dumpster.

Reply to
ACAR

There are people who actually enjoy the thrill of driving. I think the modern word for them is "motorcyclist". It's obvious low inertia (weight) cars can be accelerated and turned faster. So small is good for performance. Public streets aren't race tracks anyway. You can only use so much horsepower. Try to keep a Z06 Corvette at redline in the twisties and you'll probably wreck in less than a mile. A Honda Civic is quite doable however. An S2000 has close to double the horsepower of the Civic.

Breaking marker, hit the brakes, double clutch downshift, Corner entry, get mostly off the brakes and trail brake up to the apex, get back slightly on the throttle out to corner exit, straighten the wheel and accelerate hard from the corner exit to the next braking marker upshifting as necessary. Next turn has a slight crest of hill, reduce the corner entry speed, move the corner entry a bit earlier, you want the car turned more than normal at the peak of the hill as you'll have less traction than normal, back on the throttle to corner exit and accelerate down the straight,

No brain power left over to think about nagging wives or obnoxious bosses. Nirvana!

Reply to
camgere

It is a purpose-built sports car. It was never intended to sell in the volumes of a Civic or Accord and therefore the development costs are amortized over a much smaller number of vehicles.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

snip for brevity..

my local auto ads usually have several used S2000s for sale,but no last model Preludes.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Gordon McGrew wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OR,it's priced similar to the Porsche Boxster.(but not equivalent)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The Boxter's base price is $45,600. The S2000 is $34,300. Bit of a difference...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Larry in AZ wrote in news:Xns99C5EE35CE848thefrogprince@69.28.173.184:

well,of course,you would pay more for the PORSCHE name and quality.... [sarcasm]

plus the Boxster engine has more HP,doesn't it? (and it's a flat-6 cyl. gotta pay more for a 6 cyl.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have wondered that about the Pontiac Soltices a local dealer advertises at a bargain 31k. If you want cheap fun the Civic Si coupe or sedan gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:znSPi.20947$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.lga:

But not a drop-top.

how long will a Solstice hold up compared to the Honda? Hondas/Acuras have excellent reliability,and IMO,the domestic brands do not have such a good rep.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Actually, the Soltices I see just sit at the local GM dealer. As an old roadster type -- 1960 era -- Sunbeam Tiger, 64 XKE, MBG, TR4 -- and even a couple of early C3 Vettes, the S2000 fits the bill better for the money. I became a Honda fan in the 60s with a CL77 305 and later CB750 when they came out.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491"

wow hahaha ! I didn't even know the's Honda in the US in the 60s

Reply to
userjohn

"userjohn" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I think he's referring to motorcycles. AFAIK,the first Honda motorCAR in the US was the Honda 600. IIRC,followed by the Civic CVCC?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"tww1491" wrote in news:EGbRi.725$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe19.lga:

Interestingly,Honda's motorcycle production moved to the US(Ohio),and that led to US production of Honda automobiles;non-union,and keeping high quality. The first Japanese cars built in America(including engines!).

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My Honda AN-600...

Larry in AZ

My AN-600 was two cylinders, 598cc, to be exact. IIRC, it was essentially a motorcycle engine. In Japan, the car was chain drive, but that wasn't approved for export to the US, and the car had to wait for a real transmission.

It probably still stands as one of the highest mileage cars ever seen here. It routinely got 50-55 mpg. On a bad day it got 45 mpg.

It would easily do 80 mph on a straight road - 90 or better, downhill with a good tail wind. ;-)

Reply to
Larry in AZ

I think it's a bargain when you can spend over 30K for a Hyundai. I know of cases where new S2000's have sold for under 30k. I purchased my 05 with 8k miles from a local Honda dealership certified with a free extended warranty up to 7 years and 100,000 miles on the power train from the date of the original sale. I had over a year remaining on the original 3 year warranty and that was bumped to two years as part of the certification process. The car is sheer joy to drive and feels like it has a turbo when you get into the Vtech range between 6 and 8k. Top speed for this "4 wheel superbike" is around 150 mph. The biggest challange is to keep it under the police radar. Gas milage for me in the past 2000 miles is 23 around town and 32.5 highway. Zero to 60 is in the 5 sec. range. I'm told it has the most powerful engine (non-turbo) for it's size in the world (2.2 liter). I came close to purchasing an RX-8 with milage in the mid teens. My local Mazda Dealer told me of all the engine flooding problems, the $50 spark plugs x4, and all the engine replacements for all sorts of reasons. Lastly, many dealers will not let you test drive an S2000 for fear that you will accidently select the wrong gear and damage the engine by severly over reveing it. I have done that a few times but I was way under redline so no harm done. I am getting much better. The 2.2 liter does not need to be downshifted to pass cars on the highway. I am so impressed with this little roadster. And, I don't believe Honda makes money on this car!

-- Message posted using

information at

duckbill

"duckbill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

If a dealer will not let me test drive a car,I will not buy anything from them,and go to another dealer.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Most people hadn't heard of Honda cars in those days...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

I have a chilton manual that I bought for my '74 Civic. It covers the Civic and the 600s. The drive shaft of the engine drives the transmission shaft via two(?) internal chains. (I am going on memory but this is obviously a feature I noted.)

Reply to
Gordon McGrew