Starting the car properly

I am just wondering how you guys start a car usually. I usually turn the key to "on" so that all the dash lights comes on before turning the key all the way to "start" to start the engine. Will this benefit the car in the long run? I was thinking that maybe this would avoid the car battery to drain too suddenly. The reason I am asking is before I recently got a car with GPS(TSX) and now each time I turn the key to "on" the GPS would bootup and when I start the car the GPS reboots again... I was thinking that it might not be too good for the GPS therefore is debating how to start the car properly and which is does the car less harm...

Thanks guys

Reply to
Shion

Shion wrote in news:1185155475.171562.269010 @g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Keep doing what you're doing.

Initially leaving the key at "II" is a sort of diagnostics check, so it's a good idea. Much better than simply zipping the key from "0" to "III" without pause, as many people do.

During the "key on, engine off" cycle, you can check to make sure all the dash lights come on as intended, that the MIL illuminates for two seconds then goes off, and that the fuel pump runs during those two seconds.

Plus, the pause in "II" helps prime the fuel system better, so you should experience slightly faster starts by doing that.

Your GPS will not be harmed by the double-initialization, so don't worry about that.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks Tegger for the information. I really appreciate you took the time to explain everything to me instead of just a yes or no answer. I will continue to start my car like usual buy putting it to on and wait for all the diagnostic check before starting the engine.

Thanks again

Reply to
Shion