What to do with '94 Camry V/6 XLE?

Our 1994 Camry V/6 XLE with every option (leather, sunroof, etc.) is at the dealership right now with the heads off. Both head gaskets blew at 170,000. The dealership told us that the cylinder sleeves had dropped, and $7,500 is necessary to repair the engine! Since this is more than the car is worth, we obviously are not going to let the dealership repair the car.

To add insult to injury, the dealership now wants nearly $900.00 for tearing the engine down in our junk Camry! We never approved any estimate, except $2,300 for new head gaskets -- which they obviously have not done.

Besides calling a junkyard, what other options do we have?

I always believed Toyota's claims of "cheap to keep", but not for us! In checking on the internet, it is apparent that the V/6 has not been a reliable engine for Toyota owners. Using only Mobil 1 and changing the oil and filter every 3,000 miles was a total waste of money for us. We would have been better off buying a 4-cylinder Camry. And, a lot of Fords costing

1/2 as much will make 170,000 miles.
Reply to
RS

Mikey

I'm sure they'll slap some new head gaskets on and buttton it back up for $2300. But where does that get you? Suspect they will negotiate on the $900 cost to tear it apart. Does seem rather high. You can get a used (cheapest) engine, a new long block, or a rebuilt engine ($4k) for far less than $7500 estimate. Other option is to trade it to them for a new/used car - or sell as is for repair or parts.

Over 140k or so miles you take your chances (even extended factroy warrantees run out at 100k) --- if you can do the work yourself it is probably wise to hold on to them --- if not trade it while it still runs good.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Your cooing system is to blame that is what failed . His price sounds high so is his 900 to tear it apart , Complain, get a used motor somewhere else

Reply to
mark Ransley

In news:wgUzb.8173$yf.4824@fed1read01, RS being of bellicose mind posted:

This post smells like a troll. No Toyota dealer is going to tell you "your cylinder sleeves have dropped" because the V6 does not have removeable sleeves or even dry pressed cylinder sleeves.

You've also made a faulty link between the head gaskets and the engine lubricant. One has no effect on the other.

So your post is quite obviously a troll. Why did you not cross post it to some of the Ford groups?

Reply to
Philip®

looking at the prices and problem you said I agree with Phillip, its a TROLL

Reply to
mark Ransley

If you want to deal with the car, offer to pay them 400-500 for the tear down tops. If they won't budge, tell them to keep it and walk away. Otherwise put in a junkyard engine and sell it or drive it.

Reply to
Dave
170k MILES is plenty for a car, *ideally* it should last longer but you've gotten your money worth! The ford *might* get up to 170k Miles but how many other parts will make it...

Reply to
Lance

Yes, I am a "troll". Although I am an ugly, disfigured dwarf, I believe in telling the truth, even if Toyota doesn't like it. Go to:

forphotos of my 1994 Camry V/6 with the heads removed. If you click on the photos to enlarge them, you will note that the engine does have cylinder sleeves! These sleeves have dropped a finger-nail thickness. You will also note the crud buildup from the head gasket leaks, which were never detected by my Toyota dealer, until the gaskets blew completely last Saturday.

We plan to have an independent garage replace the entire engine with a used engine imported from Japan at a price much lower than the $7,500 quoted by our Toyota dealer.

Our Toyota is at Power Toyota, 9101 Research Drive, Irvine, CA 92618,

949-768-0688. The service advisor is Jose Gomez.

RS

Reply to
RS

Although 170,000 miles on an engine isn't bad, it does not meet the hype about Toyotas. I frankly expected a lot better. My Toyota dealership told me several times the last several days that the Toyota 4-cylinder engines have a better longevity than the V/6 engines! Many of the 4-cylinders last

250,000 miles or more. I paid $10,000 more in 1994 for what I thought was a better car with a better engine: a V/6 XLE Camry. Instead, I received a car with an engine less than stellar, which engine is now headed to the junk yard. Most American cars will reach 170,000 miles at a substantially lower price.

In checking on the internet, the Toyota V/6 does not have a very good reputation. The "cheap to keep" advertisement obviously does not apply to the V/6 equipped cars. At 110,979 miles, I paid Irvine Toyota $2,545.34 to replace 8 valve lifters, gaskets & valve adjustment shims, replace electric antenna, replace inner & outer CV boots (left front axle), rear brake job, and to reseal power steering pump. I have never before had to have engine work done at 111,000 miles on any car I have owned.

Since around 100,000 miles, my Camry has had an engine problem that Power Toyota (formerly Irvine Toyota) could never find: when the engine was cold, it would run in "slow motion". The engine just would not accelerate properly. When the engine warmed up, it would run fine.

Also, although the car has been regularly serviced at Power Toyota, they never discovered the head gasket leak until the cloud of smoke became horrendous last Saturday. My guess judging from the crud on the engine from the leak, the head gaskets have been leaking for the past year or two. (That doesn't say a lot for Toyota service.)

During 120,596 miles of driving the Camry, the total cost of repairs came to $9,781.569. That is not "cheap to keep". My worst car ever (a 1991 Taurus V/6 SHO) came to $16,132.07 for 124,275 miles of driving.

Will I ever buy another Toyota? I sincerely doubt it. (And, I certainly will never, ever buy another piece of Ford junk.)

Reply to
RS

First you may be no troll but you are ignorant of cars. First 170000 is alot of miles, and unless its highway miles , those are hard miles. How long do you think cars last, wake up .You may have maintained it by the book but not for your style and area of driving who knows . Im not going to join image section so i can be on another spam list. If you had a leak for years you were loosing fluids, or power for years. and it should have been detected , could have been detected . You let it go. You screwed up . You may have needed a better mechanic, maybe not , tough luck, I can see by what you paid the dealer over the years you surely could have done better, and also for his new quotes. Did you ever get bids or a second opinion, No, id say you didnt. Yes put in a motor. The transmission will be next, they are usualy first to go. And then go back to your nice dealer so he can screw you for 6000 for 3000 worth of trans work

Reply to
mark Ransley

What is the wholesale price for a new moter from Toyota?

Try to get a quote from following Toyota dealer:

It might be better to sell the car to a mechanic or a junk yard. Dealers are always a rip-off, I've got new head gaskets replaced as Midas for $300 only including labor.

Reply to
IceMan