1998 A4, rear seatbelt clips

My car was broken into the other night. They tried to remove the cd changer from the boot, couldn't, and then tried to gain access from the back seat. Its a saloon, and theres no way through.

Anyway, they pulled the back seat up, and exposed the seatbelt clips. Where the lap-belt fastens, are 2 clips side-by-side. One of these clips now protrudes by about 6 inches from the seat. I cannot for the life of me see how it is supposed to go back. Nothing has been stretched that I can see, there is a very taught cable bolted onto the chassis, with a slight 30degree bend near the clip itself. I've tried every way I can think, and no way will it settle back down. Nothing appears broken.

Anyone know how the hell you get it back, so its flush with the seat again? The other clip just has 2 small cables, thats still ok.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Jeffs