2000 A6 symphony radio problem - SAFE mode

Hi all:
The battery on my A6 went flat on me today - causing the Symphony Bose radio to go into SAFE (anti-theft) mode. After some perusing in the
manuals I found the reset procedure and the code number for my radio. The procedure didn't work. I got the 1000 display on the radio followed by a blank and then a 1 or 2. Entered the code according to procedure - no luck. After a few tries, now I can't even get the 1000 display. The closest dealer is a 160 mile roundtrip. At one time they replaced the radio trying to fix another problem (air bag related) but I think they eventually put the original radio back in, I'm not real confident of the service department....
Any or suggestions? Thanks.
Bruce
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:24:47 -0500, Bruce W. Ellis

Contact the main line dealer nearest you and be prepared to provide them with your A6's VIN. They should be able to determine the original radio code from the VIN, so if they put the original radio back in your should then be set. But if the original isn't actually what you're driving, they may have to put the computer on it or pull the radio to gets its serial number to then be able to come up with a working code...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd