'98 Passat - Radio in "2 SAFE" mode

Volks -
I realize that variations of this question come up here all the time, and are answered... but none of the answers I've read has helped.
First of all, my manuals (apart from the basic one I keep in the glove compartment) are in storage, so I was working from memory - not my strong suit, I guess.
I've had to enter my code several times after having the car fixed, so I vaguely remembered the procedure - but not well enough. Also, I remember that my code is either "0444" or "0777" - but I couldn't remember which (I tried "0444", twice, so I guess it's the other one.) Anyway, my radio has apparently decided that I am 1) a car thief or 2) too incurably stupid to deserve music while I drive.
I have the 6-disk trunk changer; on the radio's cassette flap it says "Volkswagen", not Bose or anybody else. I have a big round SCAN button at the top right (surrounded by the FM, AM, CD, Cass buttons); I have <SEEK, SEEK>, <TUNE, and TUNE> buttons. I have no stinking MODE button.
The display says "2 SAFE" and nothing on Earth, apparently, will change it. Am I just plain out of luck? Do I have to break down and take it to the dealer (and if I did, would they be able to unlock it from its current paperweight mode?)
Thanks in advance - I discovered this forum this morning while Googling for help on this problem, and already I've learned a bunch of useful things... on other topics...
------ Sufficient unto the day is the trouble thereof - but you've got to keep your eyes open at night, too.
Just leave the radio turned on until the display changes back to program mode. May be an hour or longer.

Sorry, should have made that clear. I've been driving around with it in this condition for nearly two weeks. The radio has been turned on for approximately 12 hours during this time, twice for more than two hours continuously.
Turn the radio on, connect your battery charger and check the next AM. You maybe in the 4 hour wait time by now.