86 4kq axle update

Greetings

I got the left side off following TonyJ's expert advice--I got a bigger hammer.

Bad news is I spoke too soon re getting the bolts out with no drama. I stripped the head on the first bolt I tried on the right. Dammit! I know about driving the wrench into the head before turning, but I forgot to clean the head socket out with a spray lube, so I don't think the wrench seated completely despite several hard taps. The other 5 I got loose.

I'm going to try an impact wrench. If that fails, I guess I can fall back to taking the out cv off the new axle assembly (which had to be special ordered and won't be here til Monday) and just using that. Heck I don't even know if I'll be able to get at the inner to knock it off even if I CAN get the last bolt out--too much exhaust and heat shield in the way.

miguelito

Reply to
miguelito

Self-replying...

The bolt I screwed up is screwed up beyond extraction. I guess if I had to I could take down the exhaust collector and heat shield to get a visegrip on it, but I'm going to go with plan B--take the outer cv off the new axle.

Reply to
miguelito

Removing the 10mm bolts on the heat shield can be easier if you use a bunch of extensions so that the wrench is out near the wheel where it can be turned. Helps to have a helper to hold the socket on the head of each bolt.

The stripped 12 point (tri-square) might be able to be extracted by driving in an allen wrench that fits tightly and then use an impact to shock it.

miguelito wrote:

Reply to
TonyJ

sharp chisel and hammer chisel in CCW direction

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks again to TonyJ and dave

There's no getting at the R side axle bolts (to chisel or vicegrip etc) short of taking down the exhaust collector. I woke up at 3am and suddenly remembered I have a set of bolt extractors. If I can get a good bite in the socket with an extractor and stack all my extensions together I can get a good whack on it with my impact wrench. If that doesn't work, then like I said--Plan B.

miguelito

Reply to
miguelito

ALWAYS clean out the inside of those bolts. USE a nice almost new tool so it grips the bolts better. YOUR hammer is your friend since you should tap your tool into the bolt. HEAD to your local tool store to buy a new tool if yours is worn!

I have even worn down Snap-On tools and I need to get them replaced. I try to always keep a new one to loosen and tighten these bolts. Even Murray's or O=Reily's sells these tools, but Sears does not to my knowledge.

Good luck with your venture!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

LOL I like that!

I call it Secret 72. Unfortunately, while I remembered 72(b), I plum forgot 72(a)

Reply to
miguelito