A4 door handle lost spring tension

Hi all,

Car is 2001 A4 Avant (older chassis = B5)

The inside front door release handle (the chromed piece) has all of a sudden gone quite slack. It still works well i.e. gets me out of the car, but the force required to pull it is about half of what it was.

I removed the door trim to have a look but got no clues. It was also very cold so I didn't hang around so long . . .

My guess that a tensioning spring has broken. For those of you who've dug in that area:

  1. where is the spring - is it in the door release handle somewhere or is towards the rear of the door, close to the latch?

  1. Anybody found instructions on how to get to it, or other references? I searched at audiworld.com but no luck there.

  2. Anybody know what the usual cause of this problem is and what parts/costs required to fix?

BR /Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown