A6 V6-12V 97' - Rattle from front end of engine resolved..

Hello

Just to put out some information to people that are hearing lots of rattle at start-up of the V6-12V engine..

After listening to the bad sounds for too long I finally got to do the work.. I dismounted the serpentine belt first to rule out the involved parts there.. However there was no change to the bad sounds..

I therefore dismounted the covers for the timing belt and found the cause.. A slack timer-belt... adjusting the timing belt tensioner made the horrible sounds disappear..

I can't blame any other than myself, as I changed the timing belt this spring.. Seems like the bolt-tension/ friction barely overcome the forces from the running timing belt.. It even got loose again just after having put on the covers again, so I had to redo the work..

A sunshine story in mid winter.. :-)

Reply to
Ottar T

Maybe when you changed the timing belt, you didn't change the tensioners?

Always worth doing....

Reply to
Ronny

På Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:07:04 +0100, skrev Ronny :

Changed tensioner, timing belt roller, water pump and thermostat.. So all were done by the book.. However I got a bit confused about if the tensioner should be rotated clockwise or anti clockwise to tension the belt.. There seem to be a difference between the 12V and the 24V as the later have an extra spring loaded tensioner system..

This time I chose to rotate the tensioner clockwise..

Reply to
Ottar T