Audi A4 TV module - view whilst driving?

Hi,

I'm likely going to buy a new A4 1.9TDi for 1st Sep delivery, with the 'navigation plus' and tv option. (UK Model). The brochure says that for "safety reasons" the TV will not work whilst the car is in motion, which is a bit of a pain because the only reason I would get the TV option is to that the passengers can watch it whilst I'm driving.

I would also like to plug a dvd player / ps2 in to the navigation unit to utilise the screen, and stick a couple of extra screens in the rear headrests for rear passengers - does anyone know if that's possible?

Does anybody know if there is a way to activate the TV display so it will work whilst driving? Most other cars with this option seem to have some kind of "hack" that will allow it.

Also one last question if anyone knows - does the navi unit have an aux-in so I can plug an MP3 player in to it?

I don't want to start a thread about the legal or morale issues of having a TV on whilst driving please - just the technical side of whether (and how) it can be done :)

Thanks in advance, Russ.

Reply to
Russell Fray
[Snip]

It certainly is - I haven't done it on my car, but I know people who have done this to RS4 and RS6.

Yes - you disconnect the 'GALA' wire going in to the back of the head unit. You can even put a switch in the line so that the GALA function can be enabled when you are listening to radio/cd. Do a google search - there are a number of sites with the details. Don't be fooled into purchasing a 'convertor' to do this - they don't do any more than isolating the GALA signal.

Yes - there are two aux inputs which can be used for video, or just audio (selected from the TV mode). However, if you want mp3 player, but aren't worried about losing CD, you could do what I've done and replace the CD changer with a PhatBox - it integrates well, using the CD changer controls on your head unit to control the song selection and playback. I understand that PhatBox is now available from Audi dealers in the UK - I purchased mine from the US a year ago.

Reply to
Peter Bell

try:

Dano

Reply to
Dano

'bellfamily')

Do you know of anywhere on-line to purchase a PhatBox. I assume that is what you did.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

[Snip]

I bought mine from:

Peter Bell

Wasn't the GALA signal replaced in the new A4, i can't remember what with, but I'm sure I read that the Gala mod would only work on pre 2003 cars as all the electronics were changed for the 2004 model.

PhatBox sounds even better - then I'll have two spare inputs for a dvd player and xbox! :)

Thanks, Russ.

Reply to
Russell Fray

Unfortunately, this is Usenet and you don't necessarily get to set the paramaters for the discussion. You obviously recognize that there

*is* a safety consideration here and you prefer to ignore that for your own selfish reasons. If you're going to drop all the bucks into a couple of DVD screens in your headrests to entertain the rear passengers, who's left to see the front one? Just you and one front seat passenger. If *everyone* in the car *must* be entertained by television, I'd suggest that you're a stupendous bore who will find it difficult not to watch, yourself - which is precisely what poses a threat to others. So feel free to stick screens in the headrests and connect headphones for those in the back - but don't go messing around with the front one. Lots of things *can* be done that *shouldn't* be done.

-- C.R. Krieger (Still cranky)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Absolutely. I do however get to "set the parameters" on which replies I read or take notice of. But yours is amusing, so I'll bite! :)

... somebody who likes to make assumptions and spurt out a load of useless drivel?

Anyway, I want the TV screens activated so i can use them for all sorts of reasons. And although it's none of your business but I don't like being accused of something and ignoring/defending... One of the reasons is that I have three children so when there are two in the back and one in the front, I don't want fights over who gets to sit in the back and watch a film (which will keep them quiet on long journeys). You probably don't have kids (if you do, please pass on my condolences to them) so don't understand that a 7, 4 and 3 year old want to watch Powerrangers or play on the PS2 rather than talking to me for 3 hours.

And no, I wont be watching TV whilst driving, I will be too busy talking on my non-hands-free mobile phone, whilst trying to steer with my knee (because my other hand will be holding a can of beer and a newspaper).

(PS that last bit was a joke, now cheer up you grumpy old git!!!)

Best Regards, Russ.

Reply to
Russell Fray