Audi A6 1.8T Coils

HAd my Seconf Hand '01 A6 for 3 months now and it's been great apart from Rear Electric Blind packing up, did a touring holiday in Ireland and found the car to be a great cruiser but 2 weeks ago I reversed out the drive and the cat was running dog rough like it was only working on 3 cylinders, anyway rang Audi Assist (UK) and within 1.5 hours the car was back on the road with a faulty coil to blame (1 per cylinder). This morning after just taking my mother to the airport the same thing happened again, don't know yet if it is the same coil but it has zapped my confidence in the reliability of the A6 especially as it has only done 16K. Anyone know if this is a common fault or know of why it would keep happening ???

Liam (UK)

Reply to
Liam

There was a thread about this here a few days ago. It seems like a known problem. Have them replace the 3 they didn't already replace and it won't happen again.

Jone.

Reply to
Jone Tytlandsvik

Faulty ignition coils on '01 and '02 audi engines is a common and well-known issue. Audi knows about this and they have announced recall plans earlier this year. In the US, the recall has just begun and will last through the end of the year as they can't do everyone's car at once. I'm assuming the same thing will (should) happen in other countries, including UK.

But like Jone wrote, since you already had two failures, they (Audi dealer) should have replaced them all by now. If they haven't done that, go back and complain and demand that they do so. Call up Audi Customer Relations if you have to.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Had to borrow the Wife's Renault Scenic to get to work and just phoned her to see if they had been out to repair the car, which they had and apparently they replaced 2 coils last time so he replaced the other 2 this time, so fingers crossed no more troubles :-)

Reply to
Liam

Go on then what is a DV[1] ????

Otherwise I am pleased with the car especially the Multitronic Gearbox, which amazes people when I take em for a spin.

Liam

Reply to
mr_liam

DOH !!!!!

didn't see the bottom of the post

Mines a 150 bhp model and I find the engine quite smooth and pokey for a

4cyl 1.8 Petrol, also driving with the window down and listening to the Turbo spin is nice :-)

Liam

Reply to
mr_liam

Hmmmm.. My '96 1.8T never sounds like a goose but it hesitates sometimes. It happens now and then and it feels like the fuel is cut for half a second. Happens only when I apply the throttle. Don't think it will happen after I have floored it so to speak. Could it be this valve is sometimes stuck for half a sec or do they really brake down when they fail?

Reply to
Jone Tytlandsvik

Insufficient data, I'm afraid. My TTR - can't remember if I'd even finished running it in - felt like this, and seemed more on par with a 180 than a

225. A Forge DV (the only other make available was Bailey, at the time) made a helluva different.

I'm not sure of the time-span of the faulty DVs - certainly early TTs all suffered with it.

Either way, I'd have someone look at it - could be a fuelling problem showing itself, e.g. an indication that the injectors might need a clean.

HTH

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I just picked up my 2001 TT (with the 180 hp 1.8L engine) from the dealer who was supposed to replace the coils. The service manager said that the coils were replaced but the work order/summary stated that the coils were the "screw in type" that were not defective and no service was needed. When I asked the service manager about the discrepancy he admitted that he had not read the report from the service department but that this was truly the case. I had not heard that there were two types of coils in the production run in 2001. Can anyone confirm that this makes sense?

David G.

"
Reply to
David Gardner