Audi A6 (V6 2.6) 1995 - strange swishing sound after timing belt change

After a recent timing belt change, I'm getting a strange swishing sound from the engine when the engine is cold - about once a second at idle, increasing with engine speed. It disappears when the engine warms up a bit. It's not the serpentine belt, as the noise is still there when the belt's off. Nor is it the belt rubbing against the timing belt covers, as I've tried taking those off too. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Hooch

over tight in general? then any extra tight bits will make a noise

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

Sounds like it - though some makes of belts are just noisy anyway. Try dribbling a little water onto the back of the cambelt as it goes round and see if it shuts up. In the past I've found a tiny squirt of WD40 or silicone spray will shut up a belt with no adverse effects.

Reply to
Guy King

does the new belt have a sticky patch on the back, where a manufacturers sticker had been. could be when its warm the sticky reduces.

Reply to
Pop Larkin

Don't think so. When installed it could be turned through 90 degrees with two fingers, but I'll take the covers off and check again.

Reply to
Hooch

I'll certainly try that and report back with results!

Reply to
Hooch

The message from Hooch contains these words:

Ah - I've done that and had belts that turned out to be very much too tight. Perhaps I just have very strong fingers.

Reply to
Guy King

As it turned out, adjusting the tension on the belt just made things worse - a whining noise from the (new) roller bearing. On examination, both the (new) roller bearing and (new) tensioner supplied by Euro C*r P*rts were leaking grease. A whole new timing belt kit was fitted and the problem(s) vanished!

Reply to
Hooch