Audi TT Quattro Steering Wheel Vibration at 70 - 85mph

Hi,
When I first felt this I thought it would be down to the wheels not being balanced correctly, but I know this is normally at 50 - 60 and goes when
reaching 70mph. I've never owned a 4x4 so is it at 70 - 85? or is something else completley wrong with the car?
TIA,
gbnews

something
check that all tyre pressures are correct.
I had the same problem last year on my TT. Had the tires balanced twice by large tire shops & still had the problem. Then, while getting my inspection sticker at a small country gas station, I askd about having the tires balanced. The did & I haven't had a problem in a year.
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:51:53 -0400, Going snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lee Jordan) wrote:

Funny. I had a completely different problem with an old Renault back in the 20th century that couldn't be fixed the the dealer. I took it to my cormer gas and presto! Some times you'd think that the dealers hire the bottom 10th of the class for the shop. And the bottom 10th for the rest of the operation. Do I sound cranky? I love my A4, I just don't like getting it near the shop.
End rant.
check tire balance. Out of balance tier vibration never goes away at higher speeds, it just gets into a "phase synchronization" (it gets hidden) I had a vibration at 70+ and brought it back to the dealer who said that they can't/will not test the car at over the speed limit. (55 in my area of New Jersey). I told then to balance the tires anyhow, I would pay for it. (still under warranty). they said thay balanced them, didn't charge me ( as a courtesy). The vibration was sitll there, but not as bad. I brought it to my old mechanic, he said 3 of the 4 were out of balance, he re-balanced them, It has been perfect since. '01 A6 quatro, pre-owned certified?. Love the car, (am radio reception stinks.) Frank

something
Unbalanced wheels can give a resonance at *any* speed.
--

Hairy One Kenobi

something
It's most likely what everyone else is saying: a wheel/tire balance issue. However, it could be the tires themselves if you happen to be running a particular set of popular replacements. I was just in the market for TT tires last week, and numerous sources (tirerack.com, local shops, etc.) told me that there's an ongoing issue with Continental ContiExtremeContact tires being manufactured "out of round" - a condition in which a tire is, like it sounds, inately unbalanced and unbalancable. Thus, if these are what you're running on the car, you may want to get that checked out first, before wasting time and money having a remedy applied which won't accomplish anything.
Rob 2002 A4 3.0Q 2005 TT 3.2 DSG (picking it up this Wednesday!)

Thanks for the reply Rob. I'm running Michellins. Got the front two balanced, everything now okay! Thanks to everyone who replied.
--
gbnews ( snipped-for-privacy@XNOSPAMMAMXbtinternet.com)

Rob, I'd really appreciate it if you could write up a quick report on what you think of your DSG after having it for a couple of weeks or so. Cheers, Dave.

being
running
with