Audi TT... quick question

Does the TT have a transverse engine like the 2005 VW GTI?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes.

Reply to
Tony

lol Thanks Chris and Tony. A transverse engine in an Audi! Hmmm has this been done before?

I learn something everyday! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes. The Audi 50, which became the VW Polo. Also, the A3 and S3 have transverse engines.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Doesn't the A2 have a transverse engine too? There is a distinguishing feature of transverse engines, with regard to 4-wheel drive, in that they all use the Haldex electric differential between front and back. The models with longitudinally mounted engines all use the Torsen mechanical differential. I'm not enough of an engineer to know whether there is a mechanical constraint behind this difference. I do know that the Haldex is mounted remotely on the back axle, but isn't the Torsen mounted onto the back of the gearbox?

Reply to
Dave N

Yes, I'd forgotten that :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks all! I will have to see these "newer" models of Audis at my USA dealership. ;-) AND read more! lol

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

And the Mk1 TT