CD Changer for 2000 Golf (which and how)

Hi,

I have a 2000 Golf with the Monsoon sound system. I'm planning to add a CD player or changer and I have a few questions.

  1. If I go to the VW dealer and buy the original VW CD Changer, how difficult/easy would it be for me to install it?

  1. Is the VW CD changer compatible with CD-R, CD-RW, etc?

  2. Are there any CD changer compatible with the MP3 format?

Thanks a lot!

VW Golf 2000

Reply to
vwgolf2000

Rob Guenther

Install is about a 5 minute job..even for me (and there's very little on a car that I don't turn over to professionals)...practically idiot proof.

I purchased a new OEM one on ebay for about $150 less than what the dealer was charging. It works --for me-- with CD-R, CD-RWs and MP3's (althought the head unit in the dash does not).

This was the guy I bought from..there are many others available at auction and via "buy it now"

libertyroad

I've called a few dealerships in my area and got very different quotes ranging from USD 340-400. I'm wondering wether there is something different about these changers that I'm not aware of.

Thanks

Reply to
vwgolf2000

You pay more for that COOL VW logo on the top cover.

Reply to
Woodchuck

"dealer prices may vary".... Go with the cheaper place, dealers can add whatever they want to the invoice price if people are still paying. Hell one dealer here in Brampton wanted 6.30 for oil, the one in Toronto wanted

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi there... if the head unit doesn't work with the changer, how do you operate it?

Razvan

Do you know what the invoice price for the CD changer is?

Reply to
vwgolf2000

No idea, I didn't buy mine off a dealer, and i'm not privey to VW invoice prices.

Reply to
Rob Guenther