Fitting a CD Changer (2001 Focus)

I have a 5000 Radio/Cassette in my 2001 Focus. I want a CD player installed; originally I was looking at getting a 3rd-party CD unit to replace the 500 R/C unit, but now I'm considering a CD Changer - the 5000 R/C unit is apparently CD Changer-compatible.

Questions: Are there specific brands/models that are suitable for this or does any standard CD Changer work?

Are additional cables or adapters needed?

I assume that most CD Changers are designed to be installed in the boot. How difficult is it to wire it in? I have no real idea what is involved with this kind of thing!

Thanks

Reply to
CJM

Might be simpler to buy a Ford 6006, 6 disc cd player and install it instead of your 5000?

like this one

Jim

I was thinking about that... The price is right on the 2nd-hand market; though I'm slightly concerned about reliability - I have no comeback if it fails a month down the line..

So I'm researching all options...

Chris

CJM

No, the changer goes under the passenger seat on the Focus, a rumage around here, and at the back of the radio will determine if the changer cable is already installed- its rather hit and miss. On my 2000 Zetec, it wasnt.

You will need the Ford fitting kit, which doesnt come with the changer if you want to install it under the seat, - you need to remove the seat in order to do this (NB usual SRS precautions apply)

If you really want to stick with the Ford / Visteon HU rather than go aftermarket- the 6006 is the way to go, the sound quality is much better than any of the 4,5,6000 units can supply. (and then being only mediocre)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

If the cabling is included, I'd consider a changer... I don't really want to be removing seats etc..

If not, I'm considering a 6006E (2nd hand) - are you saying the quality on these is OK?

The final alternative is to just get a 3rd-part single-CD head unit and a fascia plate...

CJM

Reply to
CJM

I've got a factory fit 6006 in my 2001 Mondeo - I used to have a 5000 with a underseat 6 disc changer in an escort - the 6006 sounds better than the 5000 and is definitely much simpler when changing cd's

Hope this helps

Reply to
Jim

In message , CJM wrote

Consider also a CD player that plays MP3 . Depending on the MP3 compression, you could easily get the equivalent of 6 to 10 albums on one CD

I've just fitted a 'no-name' £50 RDS Radio/CD/MP3, plus £10 for a ISO/Ford wiring conversion kit, aerial socket adapter and blanking panel (The new unit is only half the size of the original Ford radio)

Reply to
Alan