Help---Trying to sell car---should I put more $$ into fixing A/C???

2000 A4 1.8T / 77,500 miles / Manual / Quattro / Laser Red / Black interior. In Eastern Mass (if that helps with the valuation at all).

*Guys I'm stuck here*.

I've got a car that had some things wrong with it at the last minute, I've fixed them all except that the A/C is resisting a lot of attempts. It's likely the evaporator core at this point which is ~$1400 to replace.

Otherwise this is a beautiful car---clean. The original asking price without a/c trouble was $11,399, which ironically landed right on the AutoTrader.com's average private selling price for the thing.

I've replaced the radiator Put in new floor mats Tried a million things to get the a/c working both at dealership and independent. Fixed radio (another @#$%ing last minute thing)

Total $$ put in so far ~$1200

I've got two choices that I see here:

  1. Put the car at a 00 to 00 discount and just sit using autotrader's list-until-sold package until September when I'm told by a car salesman that people stop worrying about A/C.

  1. Dump 00 in, just to sell the thing mid summer.

Do you have any suggestions for me?????

Thanks!

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Thomas G. Marshall said something like:

I've got to add this------one of the reasons I'm worried about dumping $1400 into it is that I of course run the risk that the problem might *still* not be fixed.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I dunno, personally, I'd be looking for a pretty significant discount from retail to buy a car with busted A/C. More than just the cost of the repair. And you're right, you could spend the $1400 and have it not work - or worse, have it work until right after it's sold and have to take it back! Frankly, I find it hard to believe that the evaporator core is bad after only 6 years.

- Look for used parts from a reputable dealer like Force 5 in NH, have it replaced at a local shop. (NFI, never used them but they have a good rep).

- List it for $10k w/out A/C, see what happens

- Buy the part but leave it to the new owner to have installed, list if for like $11k....

- Wait until October to sell it.

I would probably try the used roiute first, see what it costs.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Good advice except that the cost of the part is just over $200 and takes either 9.8 or 11 hours (my two quotes) to install !!!!!!!!!! And then there are incidentals like the recharge cost.

So the part-cost is nothing. :(

I'm going to be forced to throw $1400 away and hold my breath I'm afraid.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Did you enjoy driving your A4?

Got your money out of it?.?.?.?!!!

Sell it as is, and let some one else enjoy it.

Such is life....

Reply to
Bill

Indeed. Myself, I would never buy a car without A/C, and I would

*especially* never buy a car with broken A/C.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I am with Bill here. I will assume that your a/c has a leak in it and the techs are guessing that the evap is bad.

If you enjoyed it and now want to sell it...............SELL IT! I have had people give me their old vehicles when they do not want them anymore. They want them GONE! Someone WILL buy it if the price to them seems right. You will take a slight loss on it due to the fact it is not perfect, but someone will want one at a reduced price along with the car's problems. So sell it even at a $2000 discount to get the cash ($12,000-$2000 = $10,000) and be honest about any problems with the A4.

OTOH I know that my '83 Audi 4000S it is not even worth $1400. I've gotten 15 years of excellent use out of it, but I will not sell it unless I get a ridiculously high offer!! :-) I am still enjoying it and the a/c works so it is NOT for sale! lol

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Trying to sell a car with busted A/C in this heat is just not going to work.

And "SELL IT" costs me big $$.

Rather than take a 2K loss, I'm risking the 1.4K loss upfront. I'm having trouble getting it outta the garage for other reasons than repair (longggg story), so I'm running a huge risk of the value of the car plummeting due to the 2007's showing up, but heck. It's getting done and that's that.

Wish me luck. It really is a great looking and performing car---spectacular really. It's been evaluated by car salesmen as "super clean". It's just that I seem to have the worst luck here. But it'll be ready to go and make someone very happy while not hurting me too awfully much in $$.

I hope.

dave AKA vwdoc1 said something like:

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall