Help, Sell or Not to Sell?

Hello there group,
I own a year late 2000 (November) silver Ford Escort, 1.6 Zetec petrol, air conditioning, ford CD 6000 radio unit, service history, some receipts for
MOT's, servicing, wishbone part, general stuff.
The car's got the odd stone chip on the bonnet, but apart from that it's fine, done 61k miles from new. I'm considering punting it now whilst it's got no problems. It's only had wishbones replaced once since I've had it, but including me it's had 4 or 5 owners (v5 not to hand I'm afraid).
It was bought at a car auction a year and a half ago, and it'll be cambelt time soon (I'm aware I should have likely already changed it), and since I wont be using it much for the following year due to returning to university, I'm considering selling it.
1850 asking price seems average from parkers and autotrader, and I am now aware I could likely pick up a focus, or something similar for a safe reliable car, which is why I'm thinking selling the current car is a really good idea, as it's still in very good nick.
Is this whole thing a good idea is the point of my post; should I just keep it considering I know what's been done to it servicing/maintenance wise? Or really do just sell it?
Mot'd till November, taxed until next September. I figure if it gets a pass MOT now (which it will I'm sure), coupled with the tax it could make a tempting choice for a buyer. It's insurance group 4 or 5, so maybe a good idea to punt it to a young person.
Problem: I live in Glasgow, a shit area for cars in terms of rusting, but the car at the moment is okay, I'm accutely aware that very soon it'll start rusting like a bitch though, as it's an Escort.
Any comments welcome. I paid 1600 for it, it had done 49k miles. Can't think of much else to add to this longwinded story...
Cheers all!

It's an Escort, therefore you should sell it and buy something decent. Focuses rust too... I'd swap it for a Citroen ZX - they're cheap, they handle, they're galvanised.

May have to work in another country from next November, so was considering just keeping it until then... I'm not a good 'un for decision-making on complex matters such as this ;-)

you're taking the piss...a scrotes nothing special but if he just wants a-b transport why buy something that could me a potential money pit,,,
I inherited an AX from basically new - it was very reliable no complaints mainly because I looked after it. However, I certainly wouldn't risk buying a used one - every citroen with a few miles on the clock feels like a ratly old shed....

There's no way that an Escort is worth 1850.
Take a 1 off that and you're in the right ball-park.
SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Be fair. He did say "Asking price".
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

Exactly ;-) Keeping in mind you never get what you ask, usually.
There's P reg escorts kicking about, but who knows what maintenance and cash has been spent to keep them on the road. I'm tempted to just keep it for the next year, but am tempted by a boring bland reliable 1999 corolla, 69k miles. I want reliable basically.
Robert ( snipped-for-privacy@toomuchspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. But asking twice what's realistic isn't going to get the phone ringing, is it?

Nobody is ever "tempted" by a Corolla. It's against the fundamental laws of nature. People buy Corollas because they need transport and are'nt tempted by anything else.

gurgled happily, sounding much like they

I've been to a few auctions since I bought it, and people still pay up to 1800 for escorts. What it's *worth* and what people actually pay are different matters. I now know the car isn't that great, and so want to sell it, but some other poor bugger may think "lot of gear in 'ere for the price, nae rust, sounds fine, i'll take it!"
I feel rather unready to line the pockets of the Ford Parts department by buying a focus; are they worth buying?
Seen a T reg 56k miler, a/c, good condition, 1600. Seemed reasonable to me, also a 1.6 which i've driven before, wasn't too shabby at all.

http://search-completed.ebay.co.uk/ford-escort-2000_Cars_W0QQcatrefZC6QQ fisZ2QQfromZR10QQfrtsZ0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ11QQga10244Z10425QQgetresultZQQgue stZ1QQsabfmtsZ1QQsacatZ9801QQsaobfmtsZinsif
Having a quick look there shows that there's the very rare example that goes over a grand. Most peter out, unsold, at under a grand.

They're not as good as the hype. Ride quality is odd, handling is strangely rubbery, they're starting to rust. I wouldn't.

I'll keep it for a year, then get rid of it I think. I'm not going to use it all that much, and to be honest a better car out on the road round these parts is just going to attract keying or the usual crap.
Why the hell does honest-john (aye, honest my rear end) list more faults for the focus than the Escort? The mark6 wasn't *that* 'good' was it?!

The Mk6 Escort was a design that had been around since around 1990 - Ford had a decade to get it right.

And had less on it to go wrong. End of lines are normally the most reliable. Plus he sees way more focus's than escorts.
Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate
of wisdom

Focus came out in '98.
Escort Mk6 came out in 95 and was a test-bed for the vastly superior in every way Focus.
Buy a Focus.
--
Pete M - OMF#9
"Save your breath for cooling your porridge!

That's not entirely true, is it?
The Mk6 was little more than a properly developed MkV, launched in 1991-ish.
Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate
of wisdom

Mk5 was released in '91, Mk6 was pretty heavily re-engineered in lots of places. New steering, new geometry, better suspension. Lots of which were used as development for the Focus - which was much, much better in every way.
The Focus rear suspension setup has been copied by lots of different companies, but the Focus one is still the best.
--
Pete M - OMF#9
"Save your breath for cooling your porridge!

Shame they had to copy it from a 2 decade old Lancia design....
Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate
of wisdom

Ford got it right though.
--
Pete M - OMF#9
"Save your breath for cooling your porridge!

Lancia had it right, given the materials and technologies available at the time - the mistake they made was not to patent it.
SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Were Lancia the first with that design? Probably not. There's very rarely anything that's actually new-new, no matter what the marketing muppets shout.