MPG after belt + change.

A4 2.4 SE V6 '97

I had ALL the cam belt related parts changed a few months back, including water pump, now and have noticed a drop in MPG. She's gone from 31 to

29..............would this be expected.
Reply to
Juan Hanglow

Must be something else like tire pressure or outside temperature or whatever.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

I woke up this morning and within 5 minutes it started raining :-)

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

If the mechanic changing it got the timing wrong it could do- if for example the valvegear was out by one tooth it would be enough to affect performance but might not damage the engine.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Stay in bed tomorrow, I have plans to go fishing ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

That thought crossed my mind after I posted my earlier, frivolous, reply. But even one tooth would cause a huge loss of power/performance, wouldn't it?

Juan, is performance otherwise unaffected?

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

no, performance is much the same, if anything a little better. This made me think it adjusted the timing a little................so if that's the case then it would consume a little more fuel. This with the added thought that everything is tight and may require more power. The job was carried out by a very competent garage..........I made sure about that.

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

How do you notice something like that?

My mpg varies wildly on a weekly basis.

Reply to
SteveH

the digital onboard computer tells me and cos I got a policy..........keep the revs between 1500-2500 on average.......55/60mph. I also use minor B roads most of the time.

Reply to
Juan Hanglow

Mine tells me too (in my 'budget' A4.....), but I don't really pay much notice of it. Last tank was 26.9mpg, but I've seen as much as 35.5mpg.

I certainly couldn't see a pattern in it.

Reply to
SteveH

A 90bhp TDI would suit him nicely.

Reply to
SteveH

If the performance is better, are you giving it a bit more welly perhaps?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

If you have to have a "policy" to drive a V6 why not just go for a smaller engine, then you won't need to worry so much,

Reply to
Ronny

Yep. If you like the torque, but usually limit yourself in that rev range a 90/110 TDi will feel just like the V6 and give you 50+ MPG. The

110 would be a bit better as it spins up a bit quicker. Mind you, by 1500rpm either one will be nicely on boost.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

If this was the case, there would be alot more than 2 mpg to worry about.

Reply to
marcus