pitfalls

can anyone offer any advice on what problems if any are common in the A4. i want to buy one second hand but people keep telling me to watch out.... any advice would be handy

Reply to
Gitfilder

Hi,

Reading previous postings for this NG are a great place to start ;-) though you'll mostly see postings from the vocal minority who have had some nasty problem or other. Those whose cars go well tend to remain silent.

Two tips though:

Timing belt should be / have been replaced anywhere between 90 000 and 120 000 km for the 4 cyl engine (depending on whose advice you follow). Very important, due to interference engine design. Factor that in when negotiating price of the car. Would cost AUD 1800 to have done at a dealer, as a very rough guess. Someone living in your hemisphere can fill in the more exact price here . . .

Also, make sure you have a competent and honest dealer/workshop in your vicinity. Quality of dealer network and repair work is known to have been bad in some markets. Check with everyone you know who drives Audi, and get their recommendations on good workshops, so you know what to expect.

Excellent car though, a real pleasure to own and drive.

/Robert, Sweden

2001 A4 Avant 1,8 TS
Reply to
Robert Brown

I've always wanted to get a list compiled on this NG, please add on with anything I forgot. Things to watch out for.

-Burnt out outside rear-view mirrors.

-Door mouldings rusting out.

-Control Arms.

-Fading driver information displays.

-Rear wheel bearing failure.

-Headlights burning out(?)

Can't remember much else, but the car is still a blast to drive (and own when it's been washed).

Romy,

1998.5 A4 2.8
Reply to
Romy

What exactly happens when a rear wheel bearing fails? Does it just get louder and louder? Once in a while I hear a humming sound that varies with vehicle speed. Just curious. Mine is a 1997 A4 2.8q with about 60,000 miles.

Vic

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Yes, this is what happened to my 1998 A4 2.8q; the driver rear wheel bearing started making noise somewhere around 70,000 miles, and I had it replaced 5,000 miles later, after the whine got progressively louder.

Reply to
xymergy

Always get them replaced ASAP. Don't do what I did, leave it too late, and it'll cause severe damage to the brakes.

Reply to
Alex Buell