Cooling problems sorted...I hope!!

Some of you may remember the issues I had last year with my RRC overheating. Back end of last year I replaced water pump, expansion tank cap, head gaskets, thermostat (88 degree) and viscous unit. All seemed OK, up until the warmer weather started to arrive...and the needle was creeping up again.

So earlier this week I decided to remove the radiator, and try and flush it out (didnt realise how easy it was to remove!). Upon lifting it out, I found about half the contents of the New Forest wedged between my rad and the air con rad; dead leaves, bits of twigs, loads of flys and insects....disgusting! Filled a large carrier bag! May have had something to do with poor airflow and cooling, me thinks! After hosing the rad down to get rid of the rest of the leaves, it crumbled away in front of me.....so an eBay search later, have bought a new rad, and fitted an 82 degree stat (which i'd already bought). Complete with fresh coolant, fingers crossed that everything is sorted. Later on I'm going to find a big traffic jam and sit in it to see if the problem is finally fixed!

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

overheating.

Mine was doing the same but the cooling fins had nearly all rotted away. New rad sorted it but I think I'll give looking for a big traffic jam a miss. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 12 May 2006 09:42:03 +0100, "Pacman" enlightened us thusly:

I hope you get it to work. BiL's 3.9 consistently refused to cool properly (he does use it for heavy towing though) unit he removed the aircon rad (and, I assume, decommissioned the aircon in the process). Having done that, they fired up the engine and the resultant airflow blew clouds of dust and crud from the engine bay. The gist being that the aircon rad severely compromises the airflow to the main rad.

However, on my 110 V8 I found that fitting a new rad cured the overheating problems at a stroke (no aircon, obv.) - IME, trying to flush an old rad is a complete waste of effort. I did all sorts of different tricks to mine and none made any difference whatever.

Reply to
Austin Shackles