Quattro Fuel tanks

Nah, we need prices like that in the USA to reduce the numbers of huge fatmobiles hauling single persons around at 9 MPG. =20

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

Raisign the price won't stop as many people driving as you think. What will reduce consumption is increase efficiency, alternative fuels and hybrid technology. There are other things too but you get my drift :)

Reply to
Av

Yeah. And bring back the railways, get those bloody lorries off the roads!

Reply to
Jim Pills

Actually, fixing the public transport systems would do a LOT more to reduce fuel consumption in the US. There maybe, *maybe* two or three cities in the whole of the US which have a public transport system that rivals London's.

When I lived in LA, it took me 3 hours to get almost anywhere in the city / suburbs by public transport. It's almost non-existant in Atlanta. Even in the bay area it's sketchy at best - buses and trains run, but they don't have great coverage. San Francisco is somewhat OK but it's not really a huge city.

Reply to
Av

I drive a '02 3.0 quattro 4 door. My system beeps at 30 miles left to go and on my last long trip I was getting 28-29MPG at 70MPH. I don't think you are getting 40+MPG unless you are running a TDI. I can only imagine that your math is off unless that 60Mile and 40MPG are metric.

I have always wondered how far I could travel after the beep but have not put it to the test.

Reply to
Robert

Reply to
Ronny

Reply to
Jon B

"Robert" wrote

1 UK gallon = 1.2 US gallon, so 40 mpg UK is about 33 mpg US.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

On my '97 A8, the pump can ONLY be run "wet." That is one reason why fixing/replacing the pump is expensive. You can't just take it out and test it dry on a bench. If the pumps in other Audi's are similar to the one in my A8, you'll find pump repair/replacement to be more like $700 -- even at an indy shop. There are also various connectors and whatnot that will cause a malfunction if not reassembled EXACTLY right.

Again, it is NOT worth the risk. Instead, wait until you have "5 miles" on the display and fill the tank to the first "click off" on the gas pump. Note the added gas. Run back down to "5 miles" and again refill to the same level. Check those numbers against the tank capacity. You should also bear in mind that the "miles remaining" will change based on recent fuel consumption. Sometimes, that number will shift wildly if you go up a steep hill (I'm guessing because the fuel sloshes between the two tank halves).

Reply to
[ a m z ]

Pumps on A4's go for a past-time, it's a very common fault, and a new one fitted from Audi is £230 / $400 so I doubt it is the same pump, although you do drive an A8 so they prob jack the prices up.

I know you can run your car down to 5 miles showing on the DIS and refill, but the point being how much fuel is left in the tank when your car shows 5 miles can vary and I would like to know perhaps how much fuel you can fit in when it is down to 5 miles on DIS??

I think the gauge on the A4 need recalibrating maybe? as 2 gallons (10 litres) of reserve fuel is far too much.

Reply to
Ronny