Re: Audi 80 timing belt roller

If the sound is actually the water pump rather than the tensioner (hard to tell the difference) it would make sort of a buzzing sound.

After R&R belt, pump and tensioner on my '91 100Q 5cyl last December it took to making a whining noise at idle when cold but quit when warmed a bit.

The belt tension is checked like you say with the 90 degree twist but even the it is a mater of how hard it is to twist. Another way I test it to look for about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of flex in the belt between the water pump and the cam pulley.

The bearings in the tenwioner are sealed and do not need greasing.

I just finished replacing a water pump, timing belt and tensioner > roller on a 4 cylinder 1990 Audi 80. All went well but after less than > 100 miles the tensioner roller is making a rubbing noise. It is quiet > when first started but once its warm it makes noise. Do I need to > lubricate the roller? I paid $50.00 for it from NAPA auto parts so it > was not a cheap one. Should the roller be lubed with heavy 90 wt oil > or grease? The belt is not to tight I can turn it 90 degrees no > problem. I hope I don't have to tear this ?> Thanks for any reply!
Reply to
Tony Johnson

I used the 90 deg twist test when I did my Golf's belt, and got it too tight. Try loosening the belt a little (only a tiny amount!) and see if it improves.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

You guys were right. I had the belt to tight. Loosened it to have an easy 3/8 inch deflection and the roller noise is gone. This was the first belt I have replaced. I have done timing chains but you don't adjust them. Now I know how to replace timing belts the correct way. Thank you for the help.

Reply to
PSH