S4

Well, indeed..

Still miss the '7' ;o)

Let's just leave it as "S4 blows M3", "Jaguar - film at eleven" (sad attempt at American joke? If it falls flat then a) I'm not all that surprised, b) sorry, and c) let's get back to talking about cars ;o)

H1K

P.S. Did you look-up the stats on the Ultima? I have to say that it's undoubtedly the most interesting (ground-based!) vehicle that I've ever been given a lift in...

P.P.S. That most certainly wasn't an instruction or hint! Just curious...

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I saw an article about it in one of the U.K publications (EVO?) a few months back and skimmed it. That's most certainly an interesting car! Although I've never had the benefit of a ride in it. There's another company, U.K. based I believe, that makes an open-wheel 2-seater a la' Caterham, but the company name escapes me. Any idea who it is?

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Not even close (sorry - RWD/AWD bigot - you can make an FWD car act like it [e.g. last-model Elan], but, IMHO, you're better off making the bestest FWD vehicle that you eveer diid seeee [sorry - too much time watching Bugs Bunny cartoons as a kid!])

Which Alfa do rather well. If you're ever over this side of the pond, look-up Minari - they take the basic formula and add a GRP [open-top] monocoque. If you happen to be exiting the pit lane at Mallory Park at the time, then there are few more fun things you can do with a) your trousers on, and b) without being arrested.

Possibly. In terms of press coverage, the Ariel Atom is more probably more likely than the (much!) better-selling Westfield, Ronart, etc.

(Factoid: you can't get a true open-wheeled car over here - IIRC, these were banned in 1982)

Back to the Ultima: I was privileged to be driven by Ted himself in the (at the time) "beta version" GTR - bear in mind that he was a customer who did a "Remington" and bought the company.

It got *very* up-close-and-personal as the six-point harness was tightened. (Possibly something to do with me chatting-up his missus for an hour or more in an attempt to get a drive around the circuit. [I can be-silent-for-England in the same that the cricket team can play-for-England. Nuff said] ;o)

Anyways. I still got lifted *completely* clear of the seat under braking. The former (slow?!?) demonstrator was measured at 0-175mph-0 in 14.5 seconds by Kit Car International magazine.

Anyway.

If you can come up with a rough description of the shape of the car (or even the colour, if it's a recent article), I'll have a go at identifying it. If it looks like this:

then it's either a Caterham or another Lotus-7-a-like.

If it looks like this:

then one of us should probably looking at changing our brand of Aspirin ;o)

Mind you, same designer as the Ultima, and annoyed the wotsit out of a full-race Gardner-Douglas cobra around the Donington race circuit. Guy Croft (yes, /him/) in the driving seat. A fair bit cheaper, too!

H1K

P.S. Steve, thank-you very much for taking my words as they were intended - as one car-nut to another!

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

No, I could Identify an Atom with my eyes closed.

I was thinking of Westfield, thank you!

Again, I fail to remember which magazine published the test. But the 911 Turbo posted the best 0-100-0 time of any "production" car yet tested in a recent survey.

No problem! Does that mean I get a free stay when I come to England? =)

Reply to
Steve Grauman

hehe I cant save money for shit lol, wish I could, remember we live in the uk where you need a mortgage to fill your car up, it costs me in my Audi the eqiv of 400$ just to drive to work in fuel per month.

Unless they start paying me 60k a year, I will be sticking to 2nd hand Audis :)

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

Indeed.. nice car!

But make that us$170k (131k Euro) in the Netherlands.. I can only dream about spending that kind of money on a car. We have this nice VAT-like construction called BPM which almost doubles the price of cars in this country.. :-(

Reply to
Bram

That's not really like-with-like, either, considering the price of the S4? Maybe the VW R32 instead? Or an S3?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Very nice car Dave... I see you are in Mass... When can we meet up so you can give me a ride??

:-)

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

Adam writes:]

I'm in the book - Hudson, MA. Anytime, really. Wear your Depends. d;o) Dave

Dave LaCourse

BTW, I saw a tuned RS6 at the L.A. auto show yesterday with well over 500Hp and a 185+ MPH top speed. Pretty amazing.

Reply to
Steve Grauman