Time for Tires

Hello, can anyone suggest a good set of tires heading into another NJ winter. Driving a 1999 A4, 2.8 Quatro. Looking for something all weather, year around. Thanks for your help! Joe

Reply to
ChefCharming

"ChefCharming" wrote

Conti Extreme Contact Dunlop SP5000 Falken 512 Nokian WR

That last one is the most snow-capable all-season tire I know, but it gets a little soft during hot summer days, so you just have to decide what's more important to you. For a good balance of everything, I think I'd go with CEC.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Thanks Pete, have been looking at the reviews and the CECs do seem to be the best all round. I appreciate the help!

Joe

Reply to
ChefCharming

Joe, IMHO, you should get a set of steel rims and put dedicated snow tires on them - that will save the condition of your aluminum rims, and will give you way better traction in the messy stuff than all season tires would. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - Kumho Ecsta 712 summer, Blizzak WS50 winter 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

"ChefCharming" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Here in Switzerland we have a lot of snow. I'm using Goodyear Vector EV-2 in the size 195/65-HR 15 and they are good the whole year round, although a bit noisy compared to sommer tires. Hope this helps.

Reply to
GT

I've had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my car for the last 30,000 miles, and I'm about to either re-buy those, or try the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S (about $80 less per tire). Anyone have experiences with either?

Randy

the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Randy S

"Randy S" wrote

Reply to
Peter Smith

The conti's appear to be at the top of the heap in terms of specs, performance numbers and reviews. However, there's one large caveat -- they're only the top tire when they aren't defective. And apparently there's been an ongoing manufacturing problem that has resulted in an abundance of tires entering the retail channel defectively "out of round" (essentially lopsided and prone to vibration). In fact, several tire shops I contacted when I was recently in the market told me they've temporarily stopped carrying this line because the defect was so widespread. Therefore, all I can say is be careful. If you do decide to get them, make absolutely sure that the 4 tires being installed on your car are not defective. As for me, I ended up getting a set of Kumho ECSTA ASX tires for my TT

3.2. And I'm pretty happy with them so far. But I haven't yet faced any real weather of note. So I can't really speak to their all-season capabilities as of this moment.

Rob

2002 A4 3.0Q 2005 TT 3.2
Reply to
+ Rob +

"+ Rob +" wrote

Good point. I did hear about the "out of round" issue, but I didn't realize it was so wide spread. I was also hoping Conti would have corrected the problem by now.

Anyway, that's definitely something to keep in mind.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Talking about Kumho, I bought a set of 4 KUMHO from tire rack and balanced it three times, twice from one place then once from Pep boys, the vibration just never went away. Ended up a having a little argument with the tire rack team, as they would not accept those back. Anyhow after several phone calls they took them back. But I did lose the shipping money and installation money. NO MORE TIRE RACK Now I am running Good year Wing Force, very nice, smooth and resposive. Although its a all season tire cant really comment on the winter performance YET. They are OK priced too, I got them from Mr tires for 300 balanced and installed.

Reply to
Buying a Used Audi

Hmmm did the tire rack recommend the Kumhos to you? They did take them back so that is a good thing. I know someone that bought some Kumhos and installed them on their Jetta and they are wearing out (almost bald) in less than 2 years of driving at maybe 10K miles per year. :-( Sometimes if you buy cheap you get cheap. I am cheap but I at least like to try a good value. lol I thought about the Kumhos for my Jeep Grand Wagoneer, but after seeing that set wear out so fast I will leave them alone unless I sell the Jeep quickly after new tires.

I would probably say go up a little in price to Yokohamas. I installed a set of 4 on my 83 A4KS about 5-6 years ago and had the tire rack install and balance. No vibration and no trouble yet after maybe 30K miles. Not the stickiest tires after they wear down some but I am still able to travel at higher speeds without fear.

dave

U¿ytkownik "dave" wrote

If these were high perf. summer tires like Kumho 712 or Kumho MX, then 20K miles of life is actually not bad, especially if they weren't rotated frequently or were driven hard. 20-25K is about average for this type of tires. If one is looking for treadlife rather than performance, one should look towards grand-touring all-season tire category.

But I agree with - generally you get what you pay for, except for Michelin maybe - you pay, but you don't get... all that much. :-)

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete