Recommend tires for A6??

Hi, I'm looking to put a set of new tires on my 2001 Audi A6 (2.7 T).

Any suggestions and / or recommendations? I live in Northern California....only a few trips to the snow each year. Lots of hills in my area and 4 months of rainy weather each winter.

thanks gary

Reply to
gary

Those few trips to snow are the crucial ones.

High Performance (summer) tires are considered dangerous here in Cincinnati when used in the snow.... even with your 2.7's Quattro. I have a set of Dunlop Sport A2's which work well year round.

Jon

2001 A6 2.7TQ Ming Blue 2001 A4 1.8TQ Cactus Green
Reply to
JPB357

Given that you'll be driving in snow, I would certainly stay away from dedicated summer tires. As far as high performance all-seasons, I'd look at Dunlop SP5000, ContiExtremeContact, Falken 512, or Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S. Or, if you have more money than you know what to do with, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. ;-)

User reviews on

may be of some help to you when narrowing it down, but sometimes they can be confusing, too.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

As opposed to the other posters I would go for a set of summer tires with good wet traction. I like the Pirelli P6000.

As far as the trips to snow are concerned, if it's really only a few one day trips per year and otherwise the temperature never drops under

7°C then I would just leave the car at home and rent a hire car with winter tires ;-)

I think cost wise you'd almost be better off.

Again, if the temperature drops under 7°C more often or if you are really taking several extended trips to the snow: Buy a summer and a winter set. Each of them will last longer, so the total cost is the same.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

I'd recommend the Falken 451. Great in wet and dry. Cost about $100/ tire. Much less than the other brands and they perform as well and last longer.

Bruce

2001 A4TQ

This will probably get howls from the crowd.

I live in the Bay area myself, and ski Tahoe on a regular basis. I drive a '99 A6 Q --- a lot. I replace tires before they get anywhere near the wear indicators. For that I go to a reputable independent tire shop and get their cheapest "H" or "V" rated all-season tire, that means M+S, and put them on the car and drive. If I don't like them, I can take them back immediately, I make that clear when I accept their recommendation.

I've always been happy.

In fact there is a set on now called "Le Mans HR", they cost $73 bucks and are every bit as good as my old Dunlops that won the Consumer Reports test, and better that my older Continentals. (though I hear the ContiExtremeContact are good)

Good tires are good, a great tire shop is better.

Grover

Reply to
Grover

Gary;

I've had pretty good success with the Yokohama's Avid H4 on my '01 4.2. Pretty inexpensive considering the size (they were $108 each).

They don't handle as well as the Pirelli's in the dry but then again the Pirelli's can't handle the snow. I bought 'em at Tirerack:

and haven't had any complaints.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Lodi

Gary,

It is sad, but quite common, that your simple, but serious, question has descended into bickering including, this time, about the effect of Newtononian physics on automotive and airframe ABS systems.

All other things being equal, which they never are, choose any of the higher rated High or Ultra High Performance All Season Tires for acceptable performance. Look through the individual ratings to pick the characteristics that are of the most importance to you. It is rare indeed that any tire is superior in all aspects.

Jon

Reply to
JPB357

in article 3fd64e1b$0$30465$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.fuse.net, JPB357 at snipped-for-privacy@jpb357.com wrote on 12/9/03 2:35 PM:

That's the other thread. This one has remained quite civil, until just now.

Grover

Just got BF Goodrich (BJ wholesale) for $100 each with everything. Just drove it home today.

Reply to
M. Butkus