Tires

Does anyone have any pros or cons on Goodyear MTR tires? I want to get noew tires for my 2005 tj sport, I want something for year around with at little bite for the winter.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Ran 30x9.5" Goodyear MT/R's on 89 Cherokee. Pretty good in snow and rocks, gunks up a bit in the mud. Great long-lasting tire.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Here is a good site

Coasty

I found the opposite when I ran 31x10.5's on my TJ, they were good in mud and rocks but surprisingly not as good as I thought they would be in snow. The lack of siping probably had something to do with that. And they wear FAST because of the hi-traction rubber composition.

For all around off-roading and good snow performance, I'd recommend BFG AT KO's.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I'm on my second set so now I have a used spare just like ones on my Jeep. I'm hoping for another 2 foot snowfall this year. That was fun!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

In article , Gary wrote: #Does anyone have any pros or cons on Goodyear MTR tires? I want to get noew #tires for my 2005 tj sport, I want something for year around with at little #bite for the winter.

MT/Rs came stock on my Rubicon. The tires bite like a pitbull, but they are very loud on-pavement. To the point that I want to get a 2nd set of rims for mounting a set of tires with less pavement noise. I'm leaning towards BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires. The reports I have read all say that the tires are low-noise and can still claw around in dirt. I am trying to figure out the catch (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...).

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

The catch is that the KOs perform poorly in mud. You really can't go wrong with either unless you run in serious mud all the time, then run MTs instead of either.

The GY MT/Rs are not as loud as MTs, but louder than the KO's. I'm running two sets of MT/Rs right now. 35s on the TJ and 32s on the EB. I love them, but I will say that I find the KO's do everything the MT/Rs do, however the MT/Rs are a little more agressive everywhere (bite) and better in the mud. They will wear quicker than the KO's but have a much taller tread depth to start with.

tw

Reply to
twaldron