YIKES!

Went to observe my grandson drive a Lamborgini today. He's a polce officer and there is a local business that rents high-end cars by the day. The Lambo is $650 for a week-day, and $500 a day for more than one day. They had a Porsche 911 Turbo cab, a Bently Continental GT, and the Lambo. I told him to do the Bently, but I was overruled. This company has a police and fireman appreciation day each year where they allow those that sign up a chance to run their exotics.

Jeff took off and the sounds were fantastic. Sounded more like a motorcycle than a 4 wheeler. He came back 20 minutes later totally

*unimpressed*. He's been to a couple of driving schools, including the one I used to teach, and he has driven my RS6 at the track. He said he'd druther the RS6. Steering, transmission, and handling were better! Surprised the hell out of me.

The "Yikes" came in on the way home when my wife and I stopped by an Audi dealer to check on a bike carrier for the A8L. They wanted $700+ for the two roof rack bars, and the bike carrier set-up. That back seat is looking better all the time.

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

Er, may I suggest a trip to U_haul for a hitch and a hitch mounted bike carrier (you can carry 2 bikes on a hitch with a 1.25" receptacle)

The love affair with the roof mounted bike carrier may just fall apart after you enter a garage (I assume you have one and that's where A8L lives) with the bikes still on top.

besides, I somehow suspect the aerodynamiks of a car with the bikes on the hitch bike carrier is so much better so that you won't go far down from your beloved

30mpg.

It takes about a minute or less to mount and dismount the carrier from the hitch.0 I vaguely remember getting one from vehicleoutfitters.com (Sport Rack retail shop)

the hitch is about $150 for more mundane cars and the rack was about that also, though that was about 8 years back and these days you might have to pay upward from $200.

I consider $300-400 a small investment to protect the upholstery on the back yard of your A8L

Reply to
AD

The bike, wrapped in a mover's quilt and with the front wheel off, fits nicely into the back seat. No danger of harming the interior. However, I will move it to Maine with my wife's car (four bike carrier attached to the rear of the vehicle). It will spend the summer in the north woods of Maine and return home (again on my wife's car) in September.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

Marketing folk at audi are anxiously listening for an inspiration for a next commercial pegging A8 against A8L.

Yeah, butch class III hitches can handle 4 bike carriers while space age frame on A8 can't carry the load. That thing on truck like chassis has a 2" receptacle if my memory serves me right.

Reply to
AD

Horse caca. The Audi bike carrier is very well built, as are the two cross members. Their expense is the only issue. I have an excellent carrier bought for a Toyota Land Cruiser about 20 years ago. It fits my wife's Lexus RX350 and does an excellent job. It cost me about 45 bucks way-back-when.

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

I was referring to the frame the HITCH bolts into. This has nothing to do with the part that plugs into the hitch.

Reply to
Body Roll