Re: Mini bike rack prep kit?

Tim+ pretended :

As far as I can make out it consists of a wiring kit and the > addition of a second threaded towing eye socket. The car I'm > looking at has two bumper holes for a towing eye but only one of > them has the threaded insert.

The towing eye is a standard thread, bolts to suit are easy to source or you could pick up a towing eye from a car scrap yard.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield
[...]

Not on any car I've seen.

The OP's problem AIUI is that on one side he has nothing to screw either a towing eye or a bolt into.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That is indeed the problem.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

you can get an aftermarket bolt on threaded bit from vip in the states, maybe someone imports them.

look here:

MrCheerful

Which model?

For R56's then there is this one

Other retrofits here

The Other Mike

F56 I think. Not sure how that one will work with one towing eye. Still, worthy of more investigation. Ta.

Tim,

Reply to
Tim+

F56 Cooper 01/2016

Left hand column

Preparations for rear luggage carrier S3ARA=Yes

Sort of infers its a factory fitted option

Has just one part number for the rear crossmember that is behind the bumper

But there is a bumper carrier mounted on this crossmember which then leads to this

part 1 51124893892

Preparations for rear luggage carrier S3ARA=Yes (same option as above)

replaced by 51127349623 Carrier, bumper rear

Reply to
The Other Mike

I have searched and searched thanks to this thread I found the solution to mounting the bike rack to the rear bumper of my 2015 mini cooper s 5 door. I need to buy a new rear bumper carrier. That is the metal frame piece under the plastic bumper surround that has the mounting holes. My car came with one threaded mount hole not 2. This part has both threaded holes to receive the bike rack.

The picture is generic and does not show both threaded holes, but I called the dealer (link) and they confirmed it is what I need to mount the bike rack. For vehicles with Preparations for rear luggage carrier S3ARA=Yes

Reply to
heathhocon