15 Inch Spare tire?

I'm a proud new owner ( 97 528 ) with a lot of questions-

The wheels on my car are 16 inch because the tire size is 225/55/R16. The spare that came in the trunk is BMW wheel, but it's a different style. It's also a 15 inch wheel as the tire is xxx/60/15. The car could not have come from the factory with this could it? If I had to use this spare would it hurt my car?

My headlight lenses aren't as clear as they could be. I've used Meguire's plastic lense polish and it helped some, but not enough. Is there another brand or something else that works better. I read on a BMW message board about how to wet sand with 1000 grit them polish but the idea of sanding bothers me. Does anyone know of other solutions?

Reply to
Stan Dowiat

I recently purchased a complete set (5) of 17" rims from an M5, my car came from the factory with 15s. My guess is the previous owner also bought his car with 15s, and he bought new rims on eBay or equivelent, but did not bother to buy the 5th rim. So, you have 6 16s on the ground and a 15 in the trunk.

The headlamp lenses can be cleaned with a product like Mothers California Gold. My '94 325i also had foggy headlamps, and I cleaned them up with a light-abrasive polish. I can't say that I actually used the Mothers that I listed, but it is on my work bench so I used it somewhere ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Use a cutting compound for paint first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the 16's are sized correctly, you can use the 15" wheel and tire as an *emergency* spare tire, similarly to the space saver "donut" tires that come as spares on many new cars. The outer circumference should be the same size and therefore allow the car to be driven without screwing up the ABS, etc.

-Fred W

Reply to
The Malt Hound

It's not unusual to have a regular size steel wheel as a spare from the factory.

Reply to
adder1969