Replacing 7.50 by starting with 15 inch rims.

My little Sis is now at the stage where she's looking to get some more tyres for her 109 SW. It's got the standard LWB 7.50's on R16's at the mo.

If she goes to 15 inch rims what tyre should she be looking to get to maintain the rolling radius and any reccomendations for a budget AT tyre for a 15 Inch rim?

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

It's late and I'm not at my best, but

750 x 16 are pretty similar to 235 x 85. They have a diameter of approx 806mm (or 31.75 inch).

So a 31x10.5x15 would do, but be a bit wider.

I can't see a metric tyre that fits the bill really.

Why does she want 15inch rims BTW?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Was more an availability issue really...but I think having crawled over the Bronco site that your spot on with the 235/85 on R16 should do the trick where there appears to be alot of choice. I take it these would be available in the rest of Europe ok as she has a tendancy to jump on ferries and drive to places with wonky buildings on the spur of the moment.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I have Trac-Edges on the S2 and they are f. marvellous! They seem to keep going in serious gloop and are pretty good on the road. I see Bronco do a copy, which might be worth a look.

If it is a SWB then the speedo head should have been changed for the bigger wheels, but most folks don't seem to bother

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:51:04 +0100, "Lee_D"

enlightened us thusly:

31/10.5R15 is nominally the same as 7.50x16. In fact, IME, they sit very slightly lower. I suspect that many 7.50R16 are in fact oversize. The 31/10.5 look about the same size as 7.50x16 crossplies used to, certainly michelin's 7.50R16s are bigger.

Nankang Wide Conquerors seem fairly effective, and about as cheap as it's worth going probably. Grip OK on road, and convincing looking tread pattern, though not actually tried 'em off-road.

check out Craddocks, see what their current deal for 4 wheels and tyres is. I got 4x15" rims with pirellis on 'em for 400 quid fitted and delivered to the door, inc. vat.

take note that the ones I got have less offset, so the wheels sit further out, on a 109" they might end up outside the body. You could always put

110-style eyebrows on though :-)

alternatively, fit 235/85R16 radials instead, on the normal LWB rims.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Our Range Rover has 15inch rims with 235/75 R15 from John Craddocks. Had them delivered to the door and a local garage fitted them for less than £250. They're Avon AT tyres.

Reply to
Nikki

John, I absolutely transformed my Series 2 by swapping the 750x16 cross-ply remoulds with BFG Trac Edges (radial). At the same time the front swivels were reshimmed and the wheel bearings adjusted.

All the slop went out the handling, and it instantly cornered, cruised and stopped with much more composure. The Trac Edge is hardly a road-biased tyre, but much better than the all-terrain remoulds that came off.

The wheel size will make hardly any difference, but a 15inch tyre will have a bigger sidewall than a 16 inch to keep the same radius. This higher profile will make the handling worse not better.

For what it is worth, 285 x 85 were virtually identical to the 750 x

16 that came off - slightly bigger, but only because of the deeper tread.

Perhaps you could swap a set with someone local for a test drive - it would only take 20 minutes to swap them over and then 20 minutes back...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Unless your sister is rather butch or has a rare 109 with power steering, width is your enemy. 235x85x16 are a good size swap but are wider than 750's and thus make the steering noticably heavier. 31x10.50x15 will make it undriveable without power steering if it's anything like the SIII I had with them on - they are nearly 270mm wide and will build muscles like 3 hours in the gym when parking!

I'd stick with 16's and get some good 750 radials.

Reply to
Exit

£250? That's pretty steep swap four tyres over.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

No, she said _less_ than £250. ;-)

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around 10 Jul 2003 08:04:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@made-interactive.com (John S) enlightened us thusly:

235/85 are slightly larger than 7.50, but match very closely to 7.50 Radials.

(235*0.85/25.4*2)+16 will give you the nominal tyre height in inches, to compare with the nominal 31" of the 7.50x16.

Of course, the 31x10.5R15 is also nominal 31".

but the 235/85 is, anyway, what land rover fit now to 110s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:11:02 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I tend to assume that included the price of the tyres, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Should have said the tyres and fitting cost less than £250. I'm also guessing at that figure as I can't remember how much the tyres were each with out going through a big box in Bruce's office. Didn't get charged alot for the tyre fitting actually - £15 for the four tyres to be changed, balanced and fitted. Amazing what a short skirt can do!

Reply to
Nikki

yes and delivered to the door the very next day

I'm going to go and look for the invoice now

Reply to
Nikki

There is a complete model set of pseudo psychology around prices. In extensive academic tests it was proven that people would prefer to pay

20 quid rather than 15. Odd, really, but selling a house in Warwichshire a few years ago for 89,950 attracted more cash offers from buyers without a 'chain' than another pretty much identical house priced at 82,000 (this was a part of a test run by Brum Uni ISTR).
Reply to
Mother

All that proves is that people are gullible.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Haven't you heard? Everyone is in marketing....

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I can't see that approach working too well for most of us! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods