1998 328i - air conditioning compressor is noisy . .

when air conditioner is turned on. Air conditioner works fine belt is OK. anything that can be done to reduce the noise ?

thanks

Reply to
news

Are the idler pulley bearings ok? These do fail and it's possible the noise gets worse under load.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What noise? Rumbling? Rattling? Screaming?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I have a similar problem with the a/c on my 528i. A slight rattle when it's switched on. I reckon it's coming from the a/c clutch. Maybe the clutch on yours has the same problem.

A bit annoying, but as it hasn't got any worse over the last 18 months and can't be heard from inside the car, I don't worry about it. At least not enough to consider replacing the clutch. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"news" wrote

Some compressors rattle; some rattle for years without failing. However, there might not be enough oil in the system, especially if it had a leak and lost it's refrigerant at some time, and the person that repaired it and replaced the refrigerant didn't replace the oil, too. You could have the system evacuated and new refrigerant and oil put in and see if that improves things.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

your description sounds like what i have. can't hear the rattle in the car.

good to hear it went on for months and is still ok.

seems from other posts its something you wait till it breaks to bother with it. not worth replacing the clutch before hand. If the AC fails its no big deal till its repaired. its not like a water pump where u get stuck on the road when it fails.

Reply to
news

I think you'll find the sole purpose of the oil is to lubricate the compressor bearings and seals. If the bearings were worn enough to rattle, the seals wouldn't seal. The system wouldn't hold gas, and the a/c wouldn't run. so recharging the system with oil and refrigerant would be pointless. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Oops! The magnetic clutch on my E38 disintegrated one day - talk about noise!!!!!!!!!!

Could be on its way out......?

Reply to
hsg