1998 M3 new radio install - bad reception

I installed it my self and it works great with the MP3 cds and the iPod in the glove box. BUT whatever I connected to for the antenna (in the rear glass I think) is miserable. I get two stations if I am lucky. What are my options for getting the existing set up to work. Its a nice alpine head unit but everything else is the HK sound system from the M factory. Do I need to buy more stuff like a replacement antenna? The old HK unit was better but not by much.

Thanks for the help!

JM

Reply to
jmiller0666

Dunno the exact installation on your M3, but I'd guess it might need the original amp/matching unit for the aerials - and this may not interface with your new head unit. Or it could be that it can, but was powered from the old head unit.

Personally, if you don't mind the look I'd fit an active 'bee sting' roof aerial at the back - it will be an order of magnitude better than those crappy screen aerials.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Two things spring to mind to start with:

1) Have you wired up the power feed from the radio to the aerial amplifier correctly?

2) The aerial coax end that plugs into the head unit can be a bit fragile and easily damaged.

Reply to
Gino

Your car has a diversity antenna embedded in the rear window, correct? If so, the OEM radio had two antenna inputs, both of which are amplified by a small antenna amp near the rear window. There is a power wire that you need to hook up to a switched 12V from the aftermarket deck. Most head units have a wire for this for use with power antennas, which you won't need sinvce you have none. Run that power to the antenna amp and then use either of the two diversity antenna lines or get a Y adapter and combine the two lines before connecting to the head unit.

Reply to
Fred W

Also, you should check the connections between the amp and the antennas that are in the c-pillar; they get corroded or loose.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers