2008 M3

Thank you for your contribution. Maybe I am ignorant of the situation, and M3 in fact has suspension options, one harder/sportier than the other, from the factory.

Care to step up to the plate and provide evidence that the M3 has such an option?

Reply to
dizzy

I've driven one. To tell the truth, I wasn't that impressed with the power output. Maybe the engine was tight...

Reply to
dizzy

"All-new suspension with special, weight-optimised components as well as axle kinematics characteristic of BMW M for a highly dynamic driving experience, forged aluminium track control arms, compound high-performance brake system, optional Electronic Damper Control (EDC) with three freely available control maps."

TonyK

I should ad that my LOL was at the comment that the M3s' "hard-riding" suspension should be an option. The E46 M3's suspension is not that much harder than a 325 with sports suspension and is designed to be so.

It's not as if it was designed to be uncomfortable, it was designed to do a job. One it does quite well. I lived with it for 2 years on unmade roads with 6" potholes.

It's true most people are unlikely to exploit the capabilities of any "M" car on the road, especially in town. But on select open roads they do excel and that is where elements such as the suspension shine.

An M3 is/was BMW's pinnacle of the M didvisions "Motorsport" engineering. Not a luxo-barge... although I must admit while I found the M3 too soft and not as focussed as I wanted it was an excellent compromise betwen performance and practicality.

(I've now decided I can do without the practicality.)

Reply to
TonyK

So I was correct.

Reply to
dizzy

That's an example of how hard it is to please all of the people with just one suspension setup. You would want the M3 suspension harder yet, while I think the normal BMW "sport" suspension is plenty firm for the street.

IMO, anyone who thinks the current M3 "too soft" is extreme-enough where they can and should be left to the aftermarket. Again, MO.

Reply to
dizzy

Damn! he did it again.

Add TonyK to the list of people who've had their arse kicked by Dizzy.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Not really, but I'll lace-up a pair of steel-toes for you, if you'd like...

Reply to
dizzy

Why? Are you going to do a Lancashire fighting clog dance or something?

You've always been an entertaining chucklehead, that's for sure, but if you've got something new and interesting like that up your sleeve, then maybe we'll take a fresh look at you.

Go ahead, kick some more arse.

Reply to
Dean Dark