318ti - a good used buy? (UK)

Hi there

I've become rather bored of the family Ford that I bought brand new when being sensible, in anticipation of my son being born last year. I'm therefore looking for a slightly older BMW for around the =A35-6K mark as I have had several in the past.

I had more or less decided upon a 318ti Sport Special Edition (I think that's what they are called) as they look fairly nice and I enjoyed a brief test drive. For some reason I'm struggling to find a good review of a 318ti anywhere. Are they really that bad? Or on the used market would a saloon with the better rear suspension be a wiser buy?

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Alex

Reply to
AlexJReid

They're an excellent little car, especially with the 16 valve engine in the ti. There were Lux and Sport packs available later in the model's life. Avoid the automatic, it totally ruins the fun. You need to rev the engine hard to engine it, but you'll both enjoy that ;-)

The saloon is a good car as is the coupe. But older suspension is still good. The Compact is slightly lighter, but not enough to make a difference. If you're looking at a 318iS coupe be aware that the rear seat folds down, so it's fairly practical for long loads.

Reply to
John Burns