528i - General Maintenance: Brake Pads, Filters, Belts

Is it possible that front brake pads will only last 20,000 miles? Is it possible that I should need a new drive belt after 20,000 miles? How often should cabin filters be changed?

Thanks!

HooKoo

Reply to
HooKooKaDoo

Brake pad wear is down to how you drive! Drive belts are usually ok for at least double this mileage and cabin filters should be replaced evey ins 2 service Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

Depends on how you drive.

I changed mine at 70,000 miles, as one was looking iffy.

Depends again on local conditions. But it's worth removing them and giving them a vacuum clean - and cleaning out the housing which collects leaves - etc every six months or so. It's a very easy job. And remove the debris which collects around the housings.

But IIRC, they're changed every second inspection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is certainly possible that the brakes need replacing after 20,000 miles, but this would mean you drive in very heavy stop-n-go traffic, AND you hit the brakes very hard very often instead of anticipating that the cars in front are going to be stopping soon, and then you let of the gas early and coast up behind them, using the brakes very lightly in the process and getting much longer wear out of them.

If you really do need front brakes after only 20,000 miles, I suggest you take another look at youir driving habits and see if you can modify anything to make your drive more comfortable and increase the service life of stuff like brakes. You may find that your fuel mileage will improve too. Bonus, longer brake life and lower gasoline bills.

I can't imagine any reason why you would need new belts at 20,000 miles. The cabin filters should be changed at about 2 year intervals, but this is a variable number that depends on the environment. If it is very dusty, then the filter will need to be replaced more often.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland