'92 BMW 535 problems

After owning my '92 BMW 535 for a couple of weeks now I've noticed a few issues. First, there's a vibration in the steering wheel under soft to moderate braking between 40 - 70 mph. It isn't noticeable if I brake hard or outside the speed interval mentioned. The car also has a very nervous behavior, to the extent it's difficult to stay in the same lane, at high speeds (120 mph and above). I've checked the tires and tire pressure and they're fine. Another problem is that the windshield wiper on the driver's side is unable to clear the water off of the windshield at freeway speeds. It's like it's floating above the windshield, which is strange since it works perfectly at lower speeds. The traction control is beginning to drive me nuts too. If I'm accelerating and hit even the smallest bump it cuts the engine power with a big jerk, and don't get me started on driving over speed humps.

On the positive side, the rough idle is beginning to clear up. Lots of hard accelerations and high speed driving after pouring a bottle injector cleaner in the tank seem to do the trick.

All-in-all, I still think I made a good buy. My dad even called it "a real car", as opposed to my previous BMW, after giving him a ride... :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

JimV

Often blamed on brake discs but that's seldom the cause. Mosre likely is a worn centre drag link or the tie rods which connect to it.

Could be worn rear subframe bushings. But if the steering parts I previously mentioned are worn that won't help.

It should have a spoiler on the blade. Often folk buy the cheaper wipers without them.

It relies on the ABS sensors. I wonder if one of the wires is chaffing and shorting out?

Reply to
John Burns

Is this something that can be easily replaced, or is it more of a crawling-under-the-car-for-a-whole-day kind of thing?

Okay. Fix the front first in other words.

Actually, I noticed today that the pressure is adjustable by turning a torx screw on the wiper arm mount. I assume that's a sign I have (non functioning) automatic adjustable pressure wipers?

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Another question. I've tired to see if there are any fault codes stored by turning on the ignition and pressing the gas five times within five seconds, but it doesn't work. I've tried doing it numerous times exactly like it says in the Bentley Service Manual without success. What could I be doing wrong and are there any other ways you can check fault codes without using special BMW tools?

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Yup. I've lost count of how many have had wheels balanced and changed discs before finally realising it's worn bushes.

I've had disc braked cars for 40 years - first one was a '58 MkI 3.4 Jag, and never had a warped disc. And I've had smoke pouring of the rears on a Rover P6 3500S when pressing on fully loaded leaving the Massif Central in France. So I'm not exactly a gentle driver.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You need to go to Bruno's excellent E34 website and read:

FAQ:

what will break:
For the front suspension, if not wheel balance or warped brake rotors, then probably need to replace upper control arm bushings:

Bruno also has instructions on replacing lower control arms, sway bar links, shocks and rear subframe bushing, CHECK IT OUT!!!!

Reply to
bfd

Thanks, just what I needed. I've looked at that site before, but I missed all that other info.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf